Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wednesday 7.8: Clean and jerk, running metcon

Wednesday. Clean & jerk, emom 2 reps @ 80kg for 8min. Running metcon with pull-ups & k2e.

I'm concentrating in training somewhere else than @ home gym 1-2 times a week to get some versatility in my training program and to utilize places where certain kind of workouts are easier to implement. Today I started off with heavy clean & jerk emom training at home Box and then went outdoors for a metcon including running combined with bodyweight movement done on a pull-up bar.



Strength.
  • Every minute on the minute for 8 minutes
  • 2 clean & jerk @ 80kg
This was sick. I have never done this heavy clean & jerks in a metcon style. When it's been 80kg or more, it's been pure strength training, probably doubles or singles. So programming double c&j's @ 80kg as emom training was a risk worth taking.

After first round I thought "hey, this is heavy". After second round: "what the f*ck". After third round it was a survival battle! I'm very happy to the result that I got a total of 8 rounds done without misses. Had to take a few split jerks in the end. Even though it was heavy for the entire 8 minutes, I had no doubts of the jerks getting up in the air and reach full extension. The cleans were the easy part, took each one with a squat. I guess my explosiveness in the shoulder-to-overhead movements has gotten better through time.





Metcon. Time 16.50
  • 30 pull-ups
  • 400m run
  • 30 knees-to-elbows
  • 400m run
  • 20 pull-ups
  • 400m run
  • 20 knees-to-elbows
  • 400m run
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 400m run
  • 10 knees-to-elbows
  • 400m run

I tore my palm last Saturday as I was playing with the monkey bars and doing toes-to-bar. It's still hurting even though I've tried to take care of it and get it in better condition. I taped my right and with double tapes but still it hurt too much in my palm when hanging from a pull-up bar. That forced me to hang with only my fingers. That made it a bit tougher for the grip.

This workout was programmed to get some running back in the schedule, with 30-20-10 pull-ups and k2e's as side dish. Total of 60 reps both and then 2.4km run. Pushed through in 16.50. Really didn't have the juice to go all-in today in the metcon, maybe it was only mental as my hand wasn't in its best shape. Maybe it was just an excuse. Didn't take any breath taking breaks but I guess my pace wasn't outrageously fast. But the strength part went very well and I cherish that moment in my memories =)



Toni's workout. Skills day for Pony. Kipping pull-ups and handstand push-ups. The second pull-up in the video is a genuine kipping pull-up, the best I've seen from Toni.





No comments:

Post a Comment