Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday 16.9: Row, hspu's and k2e's

Monday. Skills, deficit hspu's. Metcon, 1.000m row, then 6 rounds of: 5 hspu, 10 k2e, then 1.000m row. Time 15.03

A week ago I wrote front squats for today. Little did I know about the leg pain after Triplet. No chance whatsoever to squat. So squats were postponed and today was focused on deficit handstand push-ups, one of my favorite moves nowadays. And then a metcon to put pressure on my lungs and body in general.

Toni's scribblings after strength training


Skills. Deficit handstand push-ups
  • 5 reps without bumper plates
  • 3 reps with 1 plate
  • 3 reps with 2 plates
  • 3 reps with 3 plates

Nice movement, got to say. One day I realized I haven't done it ever before so it was about time. Liked it immediately and therefore I wanted to do it again and will do this movement in the future as well. It didn't feel as difficult as you could imagine. Took some handstand hold and a few reps as warm-up, then couple of sets with lumber plates under my arms. Starting from 1 plate under each arm and going up to three plates. Managed to do 3 reps at that level, could have put more but this was enough for today. I had a hspu metcon ahead of me.

Deficit hspu's with 2 plates


Metcon. Time 15.03
  • 1.000m row, then:
  • 6 rounds of
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 knees-to-elbows, then
  • 1.000m row

Good one, me likey. Start the metcon by rowing 1.000m and finish with the same rowing distance. In between complete 6 rounds of 5 hspu's and 10 k2e's. This was a rarity for me in a sense that there was only 2 movements and the other one was hspu. I mean normally when you've seen me doing hspu's, there's usually been 3 movements. That's because I need some recovery between the sets.

However, I've developed a lot with handstand push-ups. It wasn't obvious I would go unbroken so pushing through 6 rounds without dropping from the wall was superb. Also those knees-to-elbows were unbroken as well. The most difficult part of this metcon was the last kilometer of rowing. It was pure agony. Being a human wreck after the last set of k2e's and having to row for 1k really needed some mental work. The pace was not fast, not at all, but I was so glad it was over.

It took me about 15min and probably 30 seconds to stand up from the rower. Had to go on my knees first, then little by little crawl up to get moving. This workout was cool, tough and challenging, somehow rewarding. Go and try it out.




Toni's workouts. Push press strength and metcon.

Strength. Push press 5x5 (50, 60, 70, 75, 75kg)

Metcon. Result, 6 rounds + 4 abmat sit-ups

  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 push press, 60kg
  • 10 double unders
  • 15 wall ball
  • 20 abmat sit-ups with 8kg med ball




No comments:

Post a Comment