Saturday, September 28, 2013

Saturday 28.9: Squats, row, thrusters + skills

Saturday. AM. Back squats, emom, 2 reps @ 100-115kg, for 12min. Metcon, 3 rounds of: 500m row, 15 thrusters (60kg). PM. Pull-up clinic. Handstand skills.

Today meant hard work. In the morning we went to traditional gym for back squats and row/thruster metcon. Those thrusters were heavy. Then we drove to Klaukkala to spend the weekend there. In the afternoon we couldn't leave Kari's new purchase alone: the pull-up bar. It was freaking awesome and we spent a lot of time playing with it. Did some handstand later on as well.



Strength.
  • Every minute on the minute
  • 2 reps back squat, for 12min
  • 3@100, 3@105, 3@110, 3@115kg
Recap of the squats



Squats went well. I started with 100kg and increased 5kg after every 3 minutes. My legs hurt a little bit because of yesterday's training so I did 2 reps per minute. Had no troubles in doing those reps. I believe this was exactly what I needed. My metcon was supposed to be heavy so this was just perfect.


Metcon.
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 15 thrusters, 60kg
  • Time 14.28


Those thrusters were heavy and nasty! Took rowing quite easily because it was obvious that wouldn't make any difference in the final time. Instead, it was the heavy thrusters - 45 of them - that made it difficult. In the first round I did 9+6, on the second round 7+5+3, same in the final round. It didn't burn my legs but it was all about shoulders. They were in fire after each set of 15 reps. Plus my breathing was heavy as well, surprise.



Pull-up clinic. Worked on my pull-up technique with father-in-law. We were getting better at our technique, worked on kipping, strict and chest-to-bar pull-ups. Used both grips, palms facing in and out. I'd estimate having done about 50 reps in total. We also did some pure kipping swinging without any pull-ups plus knees-to-elbows. Then some mobility in the end with the help of resistance band.
After been done with the pull-ups, the whole gang - me, pauliina and her parents went to see the new playground / sports area the city had constructed recently. Found a perfect place to practice handstand so I did a few attempts. We also found some cool toys to play with, no matter what the age was :)














3 comments:

  1. And hey, Pony went to work as well. Results: overhead squat PR and great time on Grace too, 3.39!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New PR in overheadsquat is now 62.5 kg. I was able to smash my old pr with 15 kg. Also did Grace about month ago when my time was 4.55 so that means over one minute improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job mister. Added a video of the squats plus a couple of pics

    ReplyDelete