Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tuesday 10.9: Handstand, OHS, Oly lifts

Tuesday. Skills, handstand. Strength, overhead squats 3-3-3-3, snatch 2-2-2-2-1, clean & jerk 2-2-2.

A lot of expectations for this day. Perfect circumstances, Toni as my training partner, Rogue shirt on and we were ready to rumble! How disappointing it turned out to be… My left elbow turned sore on the overhead squats. I had similar pain yesterday after bench but it went over in the evening so I thought everything would be great. But I was frustrated and the feeling is only now starting to fade away, several hours later.

Hspu without a wall


Skills. Handstand training. Toni worked on his handstand skills against wall and some negative handstand push-ups. I did handstand hold and handstand walk. Also tried a couple handstand push-ups without a wall, that was fun!




Feeling good on the handstand. I took a few sets and was able to maintain position somewhat ok.




Strength. OHS, power snatch and clean & jerk.

  • Overhead squats 3-3-3-3 (40, 50, 55, 60kg)
  • Power snatch 2-2-2-2-1 (40, 45, 50, 55, 60kg)
  • Clean & jerk 2-2-2 (60, 70, 80kg)

I felt some pain yesterday and today it made a comeback after warm-up. Can't find any reason for this so I'm confident it's going over as fast as it occurred. On the overhead squats it anyway came back, not when I jerked the barbell up from my back or when I was doing the squats but when I dropped the bar to the floor as the tension released. Anyway, I pushed on with increasing weights and I believe it was important to get some reps on the ohs.

Snatch was easier on my elbow but clean was nightmarish. Actually on the snatch I got decent results. We took some videos with Toni on the Oly lifts, take a look at them below. I took a single lift at 60kg snatch and it came up nicely, at least 200% easier than it came up the first time back in January in the Crossfit Open. That time I did a PR with 60kg and it was some sort of combination of snatch and push press =)

On the c&j I practically didn't work at all. Couple of sets, light weights. Then I dropped off and Toni continued to work on his sets.




Toni's results. I may recall the sets incorrectly but it was approximately something like this.

  • Overhead squats 5-5-5-5 (30, 35, 40, 45kg)
  • Power snatch 2-2-2-1-1 (40, 45, 50, 55, 60kg)
  • Clean & jerk 2-2-2-2-2 (50, 60, 70, 75, 80kg)


That ohs result may be Toni's PR, do I remember right mister? On the c&j he cleaned 85kg once but then dropped the weight down.




Hopefully tomorrow is gonna be a better training day!



3 comments: