Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday 14.10: Dips, pull-ups, box and burpees

Monday. Metcon, 6 rounds of: 6 ring dips, 9 pull-ups, 12 box jumps, 15 burpees. Time 14.37.

Took another day in a row of bodyweight workouts. That means tomorrow is time for some real barbell action. Looking forward to train with my bro again! Couldn't ask for more. Monday's movements were ring dips, pull-ups, box and burpees. Got a real nice breather at the gym. After I went home, we went for a walk with Pauliina for one hour. The colors are still beautiful in Finland's autumn.




Metcon. Time 14.37
  • 6 rounds of:
  • 6 ring dips
  • 9 pull-ups
  • 12 box jumps, 61cm
  • 15 burpees

The purpose of the workout was to work on my engine. Keep those lunges gasping for air and heart pumping blood. Plus I need to incorporate those ring dips in my metcons more. Two simple movements that are something I need to work on: dips and push-ups. Far too rarely do I see them in my metcons. Most important thing: work on your weaknesses. That's what they always say.

The thing in this workout was the breathing. Combination of box jumps and burpees, no wonder I gassed in the middle of the workout. Even though there were only 6 ring dips each round, it was just sufficient for me after the burpees. It wouldn't have been okay to have more of them because I would have had to break the sets in vain. I got them unbroken, same with the pull-ups.



 Thought about doing every other set with palms facing in and every other palms facing out. However, on the first set it felt awkward on my wrists to have palms facing in so I decided to do the rest of the sets with regular grip, palms facing out.

The box jumps were taking its toll on my breathing. What can I say, it was some piece of work! And that's exactly as it should be. Had to force myself to keep moving. Didn't want to listen to the voice in the back of my head saying "take a break boy". Tried not to listen and kept on bouncing up and down.





Burpee is a movement that you can always complete. Graham Holmberg's ideology always echoes in my head. He once said in documentary that there are no excuses why you couldn't hit your chest on the ground, just drop down, as easy as that. And why would you not come back up. You can always come back up. And then, just start over, it's not that complicated. So I followed his instructions. My break times were between the movements. Tried not to prolong them too much. However, my lap times got a little longer each round so I believe the transitions was the crucial thing.





2 comments: