Saturday, October 12, 2013

Saturday 12.10: Deadlift, ring dips, t2b

Saturday. Skills, ring muscle-up progressions. Strength, deadlift emom, 5 reps @ 130kg, for 10min. Metcon, 5 rds of: 10 ring dips, 10 t2b.

This Saturday I took it a notch easier. I was looking eagerly to continue to work on my squat strength but I've had some hip issues for a couple of days. My left hip is sore continuously and it's difficult to complete even air squats so it probably wasn't a surprise I had to skip front squats today. Instead, worked on my hammies and posterior chain with deadlifts. Started the session with ring skill play and finished it with some movements I need to keep on working.



Skills. Ring muscle-ups. It's difficult for me, no doubt about it. False grip is beyond my comprehension. I can do false grip reps if I jump from the ground and land on the deep dip position. But once I have to do a "real" muscle-up, starting with my feet off the ground, can't simply hold on to the rings strongly enough. I have to take a regular grip and then it's much more difficult to get up there. Guess I have to keep on working on my bar muscle-ups so that my explosiveness and speed up there is fierce enough and only then start working on ring muscle-ups.


Recap of the training day


Strength. Emom deads.
  • Deadlift, every minute on the minute, 5 reps @ 130kg, for 10 min

Haven't been doing deadlifts at all this month, did some great numbers in early autumn. This has been intentional as I'd like to squat more now to build up my strength base and doing deadlifts seems to be controversial with squats. It's difficult to do a lot of both of them. My back would be devastated if I tried to combine both of them aggressively in my program. Today was supposed to be a squat day but that left hip is sore as hell. Got to let it rest and work on other movements. Hopefully it will get back in action soon.





Metcon. For completion
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 ring dips
  • 10 toes-to-bar

Not for time, wanted to nail those ring dips unbroken. Focused on doing the movements as efficiently as I can and without breaks. Those ring dips are not one of my strengths, that's why I wanted to do them today. I still got them through without having to drop down from the rings.

All in all, this was clearly an easier day. I realized today afterwards that the last 6 days of training have actually been quite rough. Have done Fight Gone Don, Diane and Hammer, plus I met my brother for a hardcore training session on Tuesday. So no wonder I felt a bit tired as I woke up in the morning.


Pony and 60kg snatch



2 comments: