Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday 6.10: Front squats, Fight Gone Don

Sunday. Front squat triples (max 120kg). Metcon, Fight Gone Don. Result 232 reps.

What a day. At least I felt like work has been done! Front squat strength training succeeded well and I created by myself. It took my breath away and was one of the toughest workouts I've ever done. Got to fuel up and eat well to fasten up the recovery process. Gonna chill out in the evening and get some energy back in store.



Strength. Front squat 3-3-3-3-3-1 (100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125kg). It was cool to front squat after some time. Classic strength triples, starting at 100kg and adding 5kg till max set. Had no idea how far I could go nowadays. Current one rep max is at 130kg. Hundred kilos wasn't bad at all but I had no expectations, just tried to stay positive and optimistic that I'm gonna stay with the triples in the next set as well. As I was at 110kg the barbell started to feel much heavier but I realized there's a good chance to get 120kg up 3 times. And I got, that was great! Wanted to take a single attempt of 125kg and it was a good one. Stopped there and continued to the wod.


Front squat strength



Fight Gone Don. Result 232 reps

  • 3 rounds of:
  • 1min, hang power snatch, 40kg
  • 1min, box jumps, 61cm
  • 1min, pull-ups
  • 1min, thrusters, 40kg
  • 1min burpees
  • 1min rest


I was smoked! One of the sickest things got to say. At least for me this put me in the border lines of consciousness. I remember having similar feeling when doing Filthy Fifty for the previous time. The cruelty of the workout was clear after the first round. 1min break, and then complete another round, 1min rest and final round is ahead of you. Hard to say what was the most challenging movement, it was more like the combo of all the movements. Each of them made my breathing go heavy and there was no movement that would have been easier than the others.



Strength wise on the snatches my result was the lousiest. Box jumps and thrusters were quite consistent. Take a look at the numbers each round below. Burpees at the end of each round was pure hell. Guess the burpees have never felt as heavy =) Just 1-2 weeks ago I did a metcon with 150 burpees but these 41 reps were way tougher!

Results per round.

  • Snatches, 13 + 8 + 8 reps
  • Box, 24, 20, 18 reps
  • Pull-ups, 25, 20, 15 reps
  • Thrusters, 15, 15, 10 reps
  • Burpees, 16, 10, 15 reps

Snatches felt good in the first round as I started the whole workout. I was rather fresh, the front squats felt in my legs but my upper body was ok. Then, on the second round the bar was clearly heavier, it was like some one had added some weight on the barbell. Third round didn't make it any easier.

Box jumps took on my legs and they started to burn early on. Maybe those front squats had their share on the burn. Anyway, the numbers didn't drop dramatically. On the pull-ups my strategy was not to go all in on the first round. I did sets of 10, 10 and 5 on the first round. Probably 10 and 10 on the second and 5's in the last round. My forearms were burning during the entire workout.




After pull-ups it wasn't the most pleasant idea to grab the bar and complete thrusters. Like there were other options, I took the bar and started moving. Did 10 reps each round on the first attempt. On the first and second I did an additional 5 reps. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't do the same on the last round. Would have had time for that. The burpees were challenging. I remember hearing Graham Holmberg say in some video that there's no excuse ever not to keep on going with the burpees. You can always drop down, hit the chest to the ground, and come back up. You can always do it. Just do it. The second round seemed to be the toughest. In the last round I had nothing to hold back anymore so I got to same numbers as in the first round.

Recap of the workout


The feeling afterwards… Indescribable. Felt so awful, had troubles breathing and sight was blurry. It took some time to recover from that feeling. Got home and prepared some good food with Pauliina and stuffed it inside of me to get back on track. It was a great weekend and a relaxing one. Enjoyed it!

Salmon, sweet potatoes and salad, yammy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment