Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tuesday 15.10: Bar complex, pull-ups, DU

Tuesday. Strength and conditioning, bar complex: 10 sets of 3 power clean, 3 front squat, 3 push jerk (60-70kg), alternating with bro. Metcon, 5 rounds of: 10 pull-ups, 50 double unders.

Training day with Sipa, my bro. We had big plans to do some running sprints prior to strength and conditioning but the track was reserved for a club so we had no chance to run today. No prob, we had a good workout with a bar complex. Then a metcon in the end for completion, not for time.

10 rounds of complex, done


Complex.
  • 10 sets of:
  • 3 power clean
  • 3 front squat
  • 3 push jerk
  • 5 x 60kg, 2 x 65kg, 3 x 70kg
  • Alternating turns with bro

I copy pasted this pretty much directly from competitorswod.com. By the way, it's an incredibly well programmed crossfit site. Ben Bergeron is the guy who has dedicated his time to write smart programs for those athletes that have qualified for the Games, looking to hit the podium and to athletes that are confident to make it to the Regionals and their main focus is qualifying to the Games. Plus there's also programming for athletes whose main goal is to perform as good as possible in the Open.

This was a good one. Originally there's a time domain that is probably the big thing on the workout. Every minute on the minute you should be able to perform those 9 reps. We did this alternating turns without the time pressure. Sipa started, once he was ready I went after the reps. Turned out to be a good idea. Probably would have been a sick one if we held on to that 1min time per set.





I did the first 5 sets @ 60kg, then 2 sets @ 65kg and the remaining 3 sets @ 70kg. Could have gone heavier earlier on. We thought it would have smashed us earlier but we managed to manhandle the weight with class. Going for 75-80kg might have been a too big bite but having 65-70kg all the way on the bar could have worked even better. It would have been a totally different workout if we did it emom style. Something like this is worth trying as emom training.

I realized lately some technical stuff I need to work on my cleans. I'm bouncing the bar off my thighs way too early and because my arms bend before the second pull. I should have enough patience to hang my hands straight, pull fiercely, lean my back backwards and bounce the bar off way higher than currently. I added one slow motion part from both Sipa's and my power cleans. Take a look. I added a video in my blog post of Dan Bailey instructing this issue just a couple of days ago. Short and very useful information. Note taken!

All in all, good complex, worth doing another time, definitely! Just squeeze it in shorter time, keep the body moving.





Metcon.
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 50 double unders

This workout was not a genuine metcon. We didn't rush with the clock. The purpose was to simply do the movements, take a breath, continue to next movement. Sipa started with the pull-ups, did them almost strict each round. That was my goal as well but just couldn't go strict after a couple of reps. So I did kipping pull-ups.

On the double unders I was concentrating in keeping my torso as straight as I could. I believe I performed pretty well. The first round was 47 reps unbroken, then on the rest of the rounds my shoulders were burning so I cut it to pieces. Still, a good double under training to finish it all.




No comments:

Post a Comment