Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wednesday 9.10: bodyweight, plyometric work

Wednesday. Bodyweight movements, plyometric movements.

My body is crashed from yesterday's workouts with my bro. Heard that he's suffering from some muscle pain as well, no surprise. So today I took it much easier and concentrated in playing with rings and then mostly did plyometric training to improve on my explosiveness. Also some elbow levers saw daylight.

Elbow lever

Skills training of the day.

  • Rings: inverted hold
  • Muscle-up progressions (jumps from ground, swings)
  • Bar muscle-up (all 1 of them =D)
  • Elbow levers
  • Plyometric jumps (high box jumps and jumping from knees to squat position), about 70 reps
  • Jumps from knees-to-ground to feet-to-ground, 3 x 10 reps


Most of my time I focused in high box jumps. I took 5 reps on each of the hight levels. Added a bumper plate after each set. Finally there were 8 plates on the Rogue box. Could have added more, there was still some gap to be filled. It started to feel a bit intimidating and the plates were running out as I stocked them on the box so I stayed at 8 plates. Took a few sets with that highest stack.



These plyometric workouts are supposedly increasing explosiveness in hips and thus improve on pretty much all possible movements there are in the weightlifting scene. These type of training sessions are rare but fun. In a day like this when my body feels it's been shocked by earlier days' workouts I'm able to squeeze these in. Maybe the body could benefit the most if it was fresh but I felt this was a good decision.




Then some elbow levers or what ever you wanna call them. I held my both elbows at the hip, tried to stabilize my body by leaning on them, aiming to find a steady straight core. Not an easy job, must say! It's very challenging and taxing movement and it's not many seconds I can hold on to this position. I also sometimes work on this movement on the floor by leaning only one elbow on the hip, the other one is free of my body. Even tougher.





And then in the end some sets of this type of jumps, also same goal as with the high box jumps: creating explosiveness on the hips. Starting position is on your knees, end position is landing on your feet as quickly as possible.

I'm glad I went to the gym and did something light work, hoping my body is well prepared for tomorrow's workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment