Friday, November 29, 2013

Friday 29.11: Sprints + metcon

Friday. Sprints 10 x 200m, work:rest ratio 1:1. Metcon, 5rds of: 8 over the box burpees with 15kg db's, 10 ring dips, 12 t2b. Time 14.32

Pauliina is celebrating pre-Christmas party with some colleagues. That means one thing. I have no rush and therefore my training sessions tend to extend longer than normally. First I went running for sprints, then headed to the gym to work on cardio through a metcon. A bit different moves to get more variation to the workouts. Ended the session with lots of mobility.





Sprints.

  • 10 x 200m run
  • 1:1 work / rest ratio


It was nice to go for a run after a long break. Running in general is not one of my faves but it's definitely something everyone should be doing. I don't like the jogging at all, it feels like useless stuff but running in a metcon or doing sprints / intervals are beneficial for sure. This time I had the possibility to go for a place near my work, just 5min warm-up run up there, then some activation in my body, then it was time to start working. As you see from the picture below, the place was not covered with lights so I ran in the darkness. It was a genuine Rocky feeling. Friday night, no lights in sight, just a man and his sneakers =) I did the sprints 100m back and forth, total of 200m, then took a short rest, I counted 30 inhales, and it was time to go for another one. Total of 10 sets, it felt much better than I thought beforehand.


My track this evening :)


Metcon. Time 14.32

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 8 over the box burpees with 15kg dumbbells both hands
  • 10 ring dips
  • 12 toes-to-bar

A new movement was introduced to Don's life. I saw the "Invitational" document just a while ago, if you missed it see the video from this post. They did a movement called burpee over the box. Holding dumbbells in both hands simultaneously the athlete was supposed to go over the box, no need to straighten to full extension, just go over the box with the dumbbells. Then perform a burpee, hit chest to deck and come back over the box. I wanted to try this one out as well.


Pull-ups at the train station


For some reason ring dips seem to go past my memory, I'd like to do them but I kind of forget them constantly. It would be vital for me to complete them because they're not my strength. Toes-to-bar movement is simply beneficial, always!

Those burpees were awful. They sucked my juice all the way. Going over a box wasn't as smooth as I had foreseen it in my mind. Kind of a clumsy crawling over the barrier. I performed well with the ring dips, unbroken for the first 4 rounds. The first movement put pressure on forearms as there was tension in the hands constantly. T2b's were the "easiest" part of this one. Not that it would have been a walk in the park. My body felt a bit tired after the sprints so this wasn't an all-in version of a metcon.





The biggest news in the crossfit world today is the fact that Tony the Pony has opened his own blog! =) I've been anticipating this day for a long time and finally he made the decision couple of days ago. Didn't take too long to make a post. He's writing in finnish so all the finnish readers go and take a look at the mister's first touch in the blog scene: ponysfit.blogspot.com.


Previous champs: Mikko Salo and Graham Holmberg on a pair metcon, looking good guys






1 comment:

  1. What the heck happened to the colors of that one pull-up picture..? Anyways, sorry for writing Toni's blog address incorrectly first. Now it's correct: Ponysfit

    ReplyDelete