Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday 8.11: Hang clean emom + bodyweight metcon

Friday. Hang squat clean, emom, 4 reps @ 70kg, for 8min. Couple of hours later, metcon, 6 rounds of: 4 strict hspu, 8 pistols, 10 k2e.

Today was theoretically reserved for digging out 1 rep max on my clean. Yesterday I had enough of looking for those strength singles. I'm a crossfitter and I want to test my fitness in more ways than just going for single heavy reps. I'm an addict for fast heart beat and being beaten after workouts. That's what I'm looking for when I enter my training sessions. It feels like this has been a rest week.

So I changed my plans and did a hang squat clean emom training. I was also planning on doing a bodyweight metcon but the maintenance guys at my work place's gym opened up some sewer and the stink was incredible. The smell of pure shit was too much to handle so we had to run away from it with Pauliina =) Just couldn't stand the penetrating odor in our noses. So couple of hours later I did a metcon at our balcony to finish the training day.



Strength. Clean emom.

  • Hang squat clean
  • Every minute on the minute, 4 reps @ 70kg, for 8 minutes

Loved it! This is how a strength training works for me. This type of workouts are the way I have been able to increase my strength level remarkably. And it's much more inspiring to do it this way, so that heart beat becomes a factor as well, not just strength.

This weight was superb for me. For half way I manhandled it nicely. The last minutes started to feel heavy. Had to chalk the bar after 4 minutes to get a better grip as it felt like I'm loosing the grip. Last 2 minutes I had to break the set in half. Less than this weight would have been too light and then again, heavier would have brought a wall against me. This was perfect weight and time frame.

I still want to emphasize this type of strength training. I fell for this on first sight. I saw it first time when Rob Orlando posted on his site strongmanwod.com and the results of this training method is definitely working, at least for me. Go and take a visit on his page some day, there are some inspiring workouts.




Metcon. For completion

  • 6 rounds of:
  • 4 strict handstand push-ups
  • 8 pistol squats
  • 10 knees-to-elbows

Somehow it's different to do a workout at home compared to my regular gym. Doing hspu's on a concrete floor is probably not ideal so the pace was moderate, I didn't want to hit my head on the floor multiple times =) I have a pull-up bar at home as well. The hight of the bar is quite low but it's possible to do k2e's and t2b's. If I do pull-ups, I feel like my head is banging at the door frame. I managed to do a good metcon with the above mentioned movements. This was not a timed one, but for completion.



Rich Froning is giving tips on shoulder tips and core strength





3 comments: