Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thursday 21.11: Rowing metcon

Thursday. Metcon, row 1.000-800-600-400-200, du's 100-80-60-40-20, burpees 10-8-6-4-2. Time 23.28.

Bodyweight stuff. My body was very tired yesterday and I couldn't get the best out of me. Felt better today and wanted to hit it hard on the metabolic conditioning. Rowing is always a killer in a metcon or in intervals. The movement itself is perfect for increasing cardio and metabolic abilities. I combined 3 different movements that all hit the same goal: heavy breathing.

Time was 23.28.

Metcon. Time 23.28
  • 1.000-800-600-400-200m row
  • 100-80-60-40-20 double unders
  • 10-8-6-4-2 burpees

Descending ladder of the three above mentioned movements. It totals for 3k rowing, 300 double unders and 30 burpees. Afterwards, I'd like like to modify the workout so that burpees would have been something more than another heavy breather =) It would have been nice to have one movement being something else than putting lungs to their limits. It could have been a movement that would have required more muscle work for example. Still, this was an awesome workout and worked perfectly for the purpose I designed it for!

Rowing 3.000m leaves me always wondering what the heck just happened. It's such an overall juice-sucker movement that it forces me to have some break within the workout. It's very difficult for me to keep on moving if there's rowing included. It's challenging to start doing the double unders within seconds of hitting the distance on the rowing machine. The first 1k was easy and pretty fast, I think the pace was around 1.43. On the 800m and 600m my pace was a bit slower, then towards the end I was able to pick it up and the last 200m can be called a sprint.

On the double unders my strategy was to finish the first set in 4 sets, and I got that, about 25 reps at once. Same with the 80's, I did something like 4x20 reps. The most difficult was the round of 60's. At first I did 30 reps, then for some reason it was difficult to finish the last 30 reps, I guess I did them in 10's. Then it helped tremendously and I got the round of 40's unbroken, same on the last round.

Burpees, not bad, there were just couple of them per round. Still, this would have been nice to replace with some movement that doesn't take your breath away totally. Having three this type of movements combined forced me to take occasional breaks and the transitions took some time. All in all, this was a good workout and I got what I wanted. Tomorrow's gonna focus on both strength and conditioning.



Take a look at one spectacular way to do snatches. By the champ himself



1 comment:

  1. It could have been a movement that would have required more muscle work for example. Still, this was an awesome workout and worked perfectly for the purpose I designed it for!rowing machines

    ReplyDelete