Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thursday 28.11: Front squats, jerks, snatch

Thursday. Front squat 6x2, split jerk 6x2, snatch emom.

Heavy-ish day barbell-wise. Front squats and split jerks were the strength part of the day and squat snatches were more like a high-rep technique style training. I wanted to get lots of reps there to work on my form and bottom position. It worked as some sort of light metcon as well.


Helsinki was sunny and beautiful in the morning :)


Squats. Front squats 6x2 (100, 110, 115, 120, 122.5, 125kg). This felt good. Haven't gone up on the weights with front squats lately so this was a good reminder that I can bear weights around 120kg any day. Currently my max is 130kg and it's vital to get these kilos up if I want to get my clean numbers up as well. I've been focusing more on back squats in October / November. I took a couple of videos from the lifts, take a look below.


110kg

I stayed confident with the bar and was able to carry the weight up to 122.5kg. The next stop was at 125kg which I took as a single rep. It was such a tough one that the second one would probably have stayed down.


120kg


Split jerks. Split jerks 6x2 (70, 80, 82.5, 85, 87.5, 80kg). How cool would it be to be able to drop the weights after having done the reps. Plus, I would have dared to go further, 90kg and beyond with a proper place. Today I worked around 80+ weights. I did all these reps as split jerks and it felt like I was dominating the bar on those attempts. My core was tight and the bar stayed where it needed to stay.


80kg

Around christmas time I'm gonna have two weeks off from work and I'm definitely going to find a place to work on my oly lifts for sure. Clean & jerks, split jerks, snatches and overhead squats are going to be in the focus for me. Those moments when I get to go to these places are spectacular. The feeling is high and focus is right there. Looking forward to that!


85kg



Hang squat snatch. Emom,

  • 5 reps @ 30kg, for 5min, 1min rest
  • 5 reps @ 35kg, for 5min, 1min rest
  • 5 reps @ 40kg, for 5min


The weights were light, on purpose. There were plenty of repetitions and time to work on the explosiveness on hang squat snatch as well as good landing form proper depth on the squat and basically feeling natural on the bottom position. Normally I do my hang snatches from pocket level. Today I lowered the bar just above knees and tried to get some elevation on the bar. Felt actually quite natural.

The weights - even with them being light - were good this time. Had I wanted it to be tough, surely I would have increased the weights. However, there were a total of 60 reps and it was somehow a slight cardio work as well because of the emom-style workout. I liked the way of how it turned out, got to try this style with some other movement as well. Maybe cleans would be perfect for me. Lots of reps, starting at rather light, increasing little by little, finally having very tough reps.




No comments:

Post a Comment