Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wednesday 6.11: Oly lift singles

Wednesday. Strength, singles in power snatch (max 60kg), overhead squat (max 70kg), clean & jerk (max 95kg). Cashout, 30 hspu.

I went to work for evening so I had plenty of time to go train to Liikuntamylly, a venue I've been a couple of times. It's a rarity to get to train here since it's always reserved for sports clubs in the evening time. So the only time to come here is in the morning times. To describe the place in one word: perfect! There's a weightlifting spot as well so it's made for olympic lifting. Today's strength training concerned oly lifts: snatch, clean & jerk and overhead squat. Some handstand push-ups to seal the deal.





Strength.

  • Power snatch (max 60kg, failed on 65kg)
  • Overhead squat (max 70kg, failed on 75kg)
  • Clean & jerk (max 95kg, failed on 100kg)


Doup! I was confident in reaching new numbers today. However, I felt a bit too tired entering the training place, maybe I simply didn't have the eye of a tiger today. I'm dissappointed in the results. Well, I got pretty much shared PR's in every movement so I guess it wasn't all bad =) Still, I was looking to reach 65kg snatch, 75kg ohs and 100kg c&j. This leaves me hungry for new PR's in the future.

My warm-up routines were different, just warmed up my legs and joints, then started throwing the barbell around. Some good mornings, clean pulls, power cleans, front squats, push press, back squat, press behind the neck, snatch and overhead squat. There's the empty bar work I did today. Then it was time to move on to snatches. When handling bigger weights on the snatch, I tend to do them as power reps because my squat snatch technique ain't perfect yet. It's awkward that my power snatch can handle heavier barbells than squat snatch. Keep on working that weakness.

Today I did a few sets at 40-50, from then on I did singles @ 55 and 60kg. The latter one came up easily in my opinion so I was confident to smash my old PR of 62.5kg. I recall that being some sort of awkward looking snatch / press combination. Definitely not a beautiful power snatch. This time the 60kg was nice and I jumped to 65kg. Tried it 3 times and just couldn't get it overhead. Some mental business I guess. Take a look at the video and be the judge.





On overhead squats my 1 rep max is currently 70kg and I reached that today as well. That's something I'm okay with. Haven't done that much of the movement so reaching this weight was cool. It's difficult to bring that heavy barbells down nicely at my home gym so it's difficult to go heavy on the movement regularly. I tried 75kg twice. The first attempt was pathetic but the second one wasn't that far away. I went down nicely but just before I reached bottom, I leaned forward and the bar dropped. It was time to move on to clean & jerk.

Uuh, I should be strong at this one, considering my overall strength level. It was light in the beginning but started to feel heavy @ 90kg. I took 95kg (current PR) before trying 100kg. The 95kg was a solid performance and felt very good in all possible ways. Adding only 5kg on the bar created problems on my clean. Couldn't get the bar on my shoulders. Tried twice. The first one was a decent one, just didn't drop under the bar as quickly as needed. The latter was not classy so it was time to wrap it up.

Barbell work was done for today. Snatch 60kg, ohs 70kg, and c&j 95kg. For cashout I did 3 sets of 10 handstand push-ups. At this poins my shoulders were smashed. It's not usual for me to do 3 different strength moves on max loads. Maybe my sharpest edge had already been lost at the attempt of 100kg clean.

It was awesome to go to this place today - Liikuntamylly - as it's been probably half a year since last time. There's a weightlifting platform and you can drop heavy weights once the rep is completed, no need to spend energy on bringing it down nicely. Let's see if I'll have the possibility to drop down once in a while.

Stay tuned for more training on these movements, gonna get stronger and more efficient on them!!!



Rich, Dan and Josh having some fun




1 comment:

  1. Nice! Impressing work with oly lifts.We need to go liikuntamylly together some day!

    ReplyDelete