Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday 30.12: handstand, clean and jerk, running metcon + pull-ups, du's

Monday. AM: Skills, handstand. Strength / Technique, 30 clean & jerks (60kg). Metcon, 4rds of: 200m run, 4c&j (60kg), 30du, 4hspu. Time 12.20. PM: 5min emom, 15 pull-ups. Skills, 400 DU's.

Another day @ Liikuntamylly. Supposedly it's gonna be a great time and it definitely was. My body was very tired in the morning so I didn't get 100% of the training session but it was worth working out. I did handstand practicing to start with, then clean & jerks, and finally a metcon with running, barbell and bodyweight action. In the afternoon there was a second session that concentrated in skills; a 5min pull-up set and then double unders.

"Handstand wall"

Skills. Handstand. Can't see a reason why not to practice this particular skill here in Liikuntamylly. As I've written it's just perfect platform to keep developing this skill. It felt as natural as last time. The limiting factor was my tired shoulders that weren't able to keep up with the training. I kept it a little shorter this time just to save some energy on the latter part of the session.



Strength.

  • 30 x clean & jerks, 60kg

I had ambition to do Grace today. I had written it down on my calendar about a week ago. This would be ideal place to do it because it's obvious that shoulders are going to get burnt during the workout and there's a huge temptation to drop the bar occasionally. I've always done Grace at my home gym and lowered the barbell gently on the floor. You lose some energy each time you do that so completing Grace in a place like this would be simply awesome.

I took a couple clean & jerks just to see I didn't have enough juice in my tank to complete that workout. Instead I took no pressure in completing 30 reps of clean & jerks with the same weight, 60kg. I took sets of 4 reps till the end, with rest between sets. Didn't time this one at all, it was more like a technique clinic this time. My breathing was well controlled all the way, this was not a metcon of any kind.



Metcon. Time 12.20

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 250m run
  • 4 clean & jerks, 60kg
  • 30 double unders
  • 4 handstand push-ups

I saved the heavier breathing to this one =) This session was easier in nature and thus I didn't go all in in this one either. First I thought not to time it at all but had second thoughts just to see how much time it would take, I was curious. There's a 200m indoor track so going around it was around 250m considering the spot where I did the other movements.

Wanted to get more of those clean & jerks with a fatigued body, so I added 4 reps with the standard weight and some skill moves to add the stakes: double unders and hspu's. I went unbroken with everything but double unders on the first round. I found it difficult to find a rhythm at start but once I got a hold on it, it was easy.

This was a good breather and would be killer going for let's say 20min amrap or something like that. Today this was well enough to get me gassed =) I went home, took a power nap for 30min and made good food. I'm enjoying this holiday to the fullest concentrating in sports as much as possible. I still have one week to go before going back to work and that's just great. I'm gonna come back here in Liikuntamylly again this week.

Handprints on my hspu's

Skills. Afternoon session.
  • Every minute on the minute for 5min: 15 unbroken pull-ups
  • 400 double unders
  • Mobility, stretching

I went to pick Pauliina from work and we naturally went to the gym right away. I just played around and didn't want to do anything too heavy so pull-ups and double unders seemed like a good way to stay active. And it really proved to do good to my body. I felt good and I', very satisfied to the work being done in the second session.




For starters I did some chest-to-bar pull-ups that's nowadays part of my warm-up routine. Then activating upper body. Then, the tratidional 3-2-1 go sound on my cell phone told me to start moving for 15 unbroken pull-ups every minute. It took about 18 seconds to complete and the rest of the minute was for recovery. It was a quick way to get 75 pull-ups done. Simple and effective!

After that I took a bunch of double unders. In different amount of reps each set, playing around, reaching a total of about 400 reps. In the end I put a lot of effort on mobility and stretching. It was worth the time to stretch out some legs and upper body.

Nate Schrader killing it. For time: 50 power cleans @ 102.5kg!




No comments:

Post a Comment