Saturday, December 21, 2013

Saturday 21.12: CJ emom, Christine

Saturday. Clean & jerk emom, benchmark workout Christine. Time 10.38.

Tough day! Working some snatch technique in the beginning with Hannu, then the actual training was clean & jerk strength / endurance training to start with, and finished with benchmark workout Christine with a 10min recovery between workouts. Both were nasty ones.



Strength. Clean & jerk emom
  • Every minute on the minute for 12min
  • First 3min: 3 x 70kg
  • Second 3min: 4 x 65kg
  • Third 3min: 5 x 60kg
  • Final 3min: 6 x 50kg

Clean & jerk emom


I took inspiration from competitorswod.com that I spoke up yesterday. Naturally the monsters did these with weights beyond my strength level so I modified this one to match my levels. And I succeeded in defining the weight on the barbell just greatly. It felt bad and good at the same time.


It took about 15-20sec to finish those sets each minute. I was extremely happy to being able to do 70kg clean & jerks with a continuous movement, not stopping the bar in the middle but jerking it with the use of the "bounce" after clean. The recovery time was enough for me to get back in shape and prepared for the next set.


This workout gave me more confidence in moving the bar in a high-rep workout like Grace. Got to do more workouts like these where a lot of reps are done with a manageable weight, not always maxing it out. Lighter bar and more reps = consistency and endurance.

70kg clean & jerk

Christine. Time 10.38. Compare to 14.4.2013
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 12 deadlifts, bodyweight (80kg)
  • 21 box jumps, 61cm

Had a 10min break before entering this one. I ripped my fingers to blood in the c&j emom so I just put more tape on my hands and put gloves on so it wouldn't do any more harm. I've done Christine once more and I remember looking at it and thinking it's quite an easy one. Hmm, it wouldn't be a benchmark wod if it was easy. Last time I did it, my box jumps can't have been according to Games standards because this time I went unbroken, previously not and my time was 10sec faster in April. That's weird.


My rowing pace was around 1.45 on the first round, and a little slower on the last 2 rounds, about 1.48-1.50. I didn't see the benefit of gassing out on the rowing because it would have slowed me down on the deads and boxes. I wanted to get them unbroken so I went couple of seconds slower on the rower.


And I followed this game plan till the end. The deads were as light as they were last time. My weight is currently at about 82kg, I put the same weight today as last time to get some comparison as the difference in my bodyweight is marginal between the two Christines.


I'm happy the box jumps went unbroken. The difference between following Games standard box jumps and not following the Games standards is the full extension on top of the box. You have to extend the entire body so that heels, hip and shoulders are in straight vertical line if you look at it from the side.


If you don't do it and just jump right off the box once you land there, you'll save time tremendously and it also doesn't consume as much energy. I remember knocking boxes was a walk in the park when I didn't follow the standards but once I got to know them, I have been doing them "correctly" ever since. Even though it means the pace is slowing down.


For me, it's important to being able to look at my videos afterwards and be proud of having done the movements as they should be done. I did some horrible movements in the beginning of my crossfit career and as I saw them in the video, little by little I realized they are not okay and I learnt how to do the movements correctly.


I'm very pleased on the workouts completed today. I felt hammered after the clean & jerk emom and it was difficult to think about jumping into a benchmark workout. But once I recovered for a while I was able to put the timer running and start moving.

Christine, 2+ rounds caught on video

Both workouts were cruel in their own nature and I had lots of fun getting after them. Above is about 9 minutes of today's Christine, my camera won't record more than 10min at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment