Thursday, December 26, 2013

Thursday 26.12: Clean and jerk emom, hspu metcon

Thursday. Every minute on the minute, 5 c&j @ 60kg, for 12min. Metcon, chipper style, main element being hspu. Time 18.15.

Back in action! Today was a real deal. Putting the new Rogue stuff on and heading to the gym with Pauliina, I loved it! Most burden was for my shoulders. Took a lot of clean & jerks for starters and was hammered after those. I recovered for about 10 minutes before jumping on to my metcon, a chipper style workout, which had hspu's on main focus. Great wod.




Strength. Clean & jerk
  • Every minute on the minute
  • 5 C&J @ 60kg, for 12min



I gave myself a little slack prior to the workout and did not decided on the length of the workout. Hadn't been doing barbell work for a couple of days so I figured it might be quite heavy after Christmas. It was a lot of resting and chilling the last couple of days at the in-laws' place.



The first couple of sets / minutes went on nicely. However, after about 20 reps I started to feel the burden. Even though I hadn't decided on the time frame for this one, I wanted to go on and on. It felt so good to do clean & jerks and after having done "Grace", that is 30 c&j's, I knew I wanted to go further. And ended up doing 12 rounds and 60 reps. Of course it felt heavy towards the end, no question about that.



After I did the emom-ladder workout with clean & jerks last week, I wrote you guys I should be working with this movement at a weight around 60kg so this was exactly what I needed to do. And it was a great workout to develop muscle endurance and stamina with barbell work.


Recap of clean & jerks


I've got some technical improvement on my clean & jerks. I looked at one of Rich Froning's / Crossfit Mayhem's posts on their youtube channel where he was talking about how he lowers the bar from overhead position. So I tried it and it felt natural and smart. Take a look of Rich's tips below.




I felt very happy to being able to manhandle that weight today. Even though I got fatigued it didn't have an effect on my performance and I got the reps done similar all the way. Got to say I was happy the workout was over though =)



Metcon. Time 18.15
  • 50 double unders
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 20 burpees
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 20 box, 61cm
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 20 pull-ups
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 20 pull-ups
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 20 box, 61cm
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 20 burpees
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 50 double unders



Needed a 10min rest in between workouts because my shoulders were smashed. That time was enough to get back on track. The hspu's were tougher than normally because of the work being done already. The workout started with 50 du's and ended there too. It pleased me a lot that I went unbroken with them in both ends!



There were 5 handstand push-ups between every other movement: burpees, box jumps and pull-ups, 20 reps each. Kind of 2 rounds, back and forth the same movements. The burpees felt very heavy, extremely heavy and especially the combo of hspu's and burpees got me. Box jumps and pull-ups went very well. Heart was beating like a maniac but I was able to keep on moving. All but one set of hspu's went ub. That was the after the first set of burpees. I jumped on the wall too quickly and lost balance after 3 reps.



This was a killer workout for me today. Maybe it was the clean & jerks before that or something else but the hspu's were challenging to me. It felt great anyway to being able to keep on rocking and moving on. Great workout!






No comments:

Post a Comment