Saturday, January 4, 2014

Saturday 4.1: Two metcons

Saturday. Metcon, 10rds of: 5 deads (125kg), 13 push-ups, 9 box. Time 13.58. Metcon, 10 to 1, down by 1's, T2B and burpees. Time 6. 52

Concentrated purely on metabolic condition today. No strength training at all. Yesterday was leaning towards a bit of a rough day with clean & jerk strength in the morning and front squats in the evening so it feels all over my body. I had only one metcon in mind today but it turned out to 2 different ones during the session.


Metcon. Time 13.58
  • 10 rounds of:
  • 5 deadlifts, 125kg
  • 13 push-ups
  • 9 box jumps, 61cm
There's a hero workout called McGhee, which is a 30min amrap of the same movements: deads, push-ups and box jumps. I had it in my mind for a couple of days and it must have been a treat to go after. But there's a downside of the workout. I realized there must a huge number of rounds completed in 30min time cap. I checked some people's results in the internet yesterday and understood that the result would be near 100 deadlifts with 125kg if performed well. And that would probably result in having back ache for a couple of days because that would be something like 10.000kg deadlifting in one session.


So I decided yesterday to modify this workout to be a 10-rounder, same movements and amount of reps. It was a good one, definitely, good combination of movements. I remember having done something similar in the past, I mean the same movement combination. Deads and box crush the legs and breathing, and push-ups take care of upper body.


I did all movements unbroken each round. It was the time in the transitions that took some time. Still, my round times stayed pretty solid for 10 rounds. First round was about a minute, and the slowest one was about 1:30. I'm not that happy with the form of my back in the deadlifts. It was a bit too hasty performance there and the form is not perfect. The weight itself isn't that bad so I was not forced to pay attention to the technique.


Push-ups went ub as well, that was great news. I thought there might be some issues in the last rounds. The last reps were tough from mid workout on but still manageable. Usually in metcons I don't have more than 10 push-ups per round. It would probably be smart to have more to develop muscle endurance there as well.

Part of the 10 rounder

Box jumps rolled smoothly in my opinion. Solid effort and performance. They sure made me breath heavily and it took some time to recover before grabbing the bar from the floor to start the next round. This was a good workout in my opinion and it would have been a nightmare to continue this for 16 minutes more. Don't even want to think about what the feelings would have been after a 30min amrap. That definitely is a hero workout! It would have been interesting though to see my result…



Metcon. Time 6.52
  • 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
  • Toes-to-bar
  • Burpees
Something little nice in the end. 55 reps of both movements. This is something I created on the fly. First I was thinking old school: 5 rounds of 10 reps for both elements but then this was a bit different. Decreasing amount of reps, starting from 10, going down by 1's. Went unbroken on both but the t2b's were tough. For some reason I had some issues already on the round of 9's. It really put pressure on my abs to get them without breaking it down. Burpees were easier one on this one.


It felt like I put my heart and lungs to work today. Heavy breathing from the start to finish. Two workouts with similar intensions, different movements but the main idea stayed the same. Keep on moving mister. Had my "Rogue - Engine" shirt on me for a good reason =) It was good to have it like this 'cause there were some heavy barbell work done earlier this week.




No comments:

Post a Comment