Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday 23.1: Squats, metcon of deads and box

Thursday. Back squats (max 140kg). Metcon, 21-15-9, deadlift (130kg), box. Time 5.50.

Never skip a leg day! Most important part of the body, that keeps you going. Legs are always going to take hit so you better have strong legs in order to become a well-rounded athlete. They always say you should strengthen your legs, no matter which movements you wanna get better at. It all starts with legs. So today it was time to squat, go heavy, and then posterior chain metcon.

Equipment for today

Strength.

  • Back squats 3x100, 110, 120, 130kg, 2x135kg, 1x140kg

C'mon it felt good. On Monday squatting felt horrible, and today it was like another ball game. Somehow the path down and up was also better than last time. Then, it was awkward from the first squats. I was waiting these squats with great pleasure and it paid off.

130kg

My only goal was to go heavy, not PR attempts anyway. Sometimes 100kg feels like a feather, sometimes it's similar to 120kg. Today it was the lighter version. I kept adding stuff on the bar and pumped forward.

135kg

130kg felt still quite good and I didn't have to stop between reps, that was quite solid effort. On the 135kg the second rep was tough. Wanted to try the 140kg with Pauliina spotting. It was very tough but finally came up. That was a great feeling. Had no thoughts or goals entering this day so reaching my max load was a good result, I'll take it.


140kg



Metcon. Time 5.50. Compare to 28.5.2013

  • 21-15-9
  • Deadlift, 130kg
  • Box, 61cm
Okay, it was time to put more pressure on lower body and metabolic condition too. I've done this workout with lighter weights - 100kg on the deads - last May. The nature of the workouts is different with 100kg and 130kg. The lighter weight is something you can go unbroken, but 130kg is not. Not for me at least.

I've consciously neglected deadlift training lately because I have wanted to put more focus on my legs. It's difficult for me to find a way to go heavy on both, frequently. They both put so much pressure on legs and back that I've tried to find a solution by adding a deadlift metcon on those days when I squat. Not always but occasionally. Sometimes I'll skip squatting and go for deads instead.

Today I took couple of reps with 100, 130 and 150kg before adjusting it back to 130kg for the metcon. Naturally I didn't go unbroken all the way. Box jumps were easier than I thought and went ub each round. On the round of 21's I did deadlifts 14+7. On the rounds of 15's it was 6+6+3. And the last round was maybe 6+3.

This is a good workout for posterior chain, no doubt about it. And it definitely makes you breath heavy too. If you wanna make it more like a quick metcon and test your metabolic condition, go for weights you can nail unbroken. I wanted to have some more weights and still work my muscle endurance with heavier weights.


Have had some issues with my car, she's freezing so we had to push it around to find a spot at our neighbor's garage. Hopefully it recovers for this winter! It was a good sweat work in the evening =)



No comments:

Post a Comment