Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday 21.1: Clean and jerk, Macho Man

Tuesday. Clean & jerk 3x3 across (80kg). Competitorswod benchmark wod, "Macho Man" with 60kg for 10min.

Today was time for barbell play. Just warmed up, then started working with the bar. First quick clean & jerk sets before moving on to the main workout of the day. Something I've learned from competitorswod.com. Ben Bergeron has created a nice benchmark workout to test the work capacity of athletes. I was supposed to meet my bro today and workout together with him. Time schedules didn't match so we had to postpone it. We were planning to train together once a week but it hasn't started off well, haven't met at ll this January =) We're gonna make it happen anyway 'cause we both know the benefits of working together.



Strength.
  • Clean & jerk 3x3, across (all sets @ 80kg)
  • Touch'n'go style
Wanted to do couple of short sets touch'n'go style clean & jerks. Decided to go across, all sets at 80kg. It was a weight I was able to do solidly. I completed the jerks as push jerks. Felt like my technique was rather good in all sets, all jerks. The clean part felt heavier than the jerk this time. That's a bit awkward. Did the cleans as power cleans. My traps were extremely sore from yesterday's hang clean emom. That might have been the issue. Anyway, these c&j's felt good and solid. Didn't go for heavier or more sets because Macho Man was right around the corner.


Toni, 80kg squat clean



Macho Man. Weight 60kg (10min)
  • Every minute on the minute for as long as possible
  • 3 power clean
  • 3 front squat
  • 3 push jerk
  • If you fail to make 5 full rounds, you must lower the weight and restart
  • If you successfully reach 10 rounds, add 1 rep per movement each minute

This has seemed cool every time I've seen it on the compwod's site. The only thing was that I didn't remember the last bullet point of this workout. If you can go beyond 10min, add 1 rep per movement each minute. I recalled it meant you should have had more weight. The rx'd weight for this one is 185lbs (84kg). That would be crazy weight for me to do as emom training. Had no idea how long I would be able to go on this one but I had a feeling 60kg might be too low. And it actually turned out to be too low.



Next time I'll go for 65-70kg, depending on the place where I'll do this one. If I can drop the bar I'll probably do it with 70kg. That would be so relieving to drop it after the 9th rep of the minute. At that point it feels pretty awful to hold on to the barbell.

I completed all sets with similar pattern. Unbroken, in about 17-18 seconds. So there was enough recovery time to get ready for the next minute. It started to fasten breathing already after 3 minutes but it was manageable all the time. A good test in my opinion, got to go heavier next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment