Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wednesday 29.1: Special skills day!

Wednesday. Skills day @ Taitoliikuntakeskus. PR in bar muscle-ups (9 reps)

Lots of playing around, no agenda, playing like a kiddo. My friend Jari -  a former professional snowboarder - invited me to come to this place to work on some skills so I definitely jumped aboard. It turned out to be great! This was a place where you can do pretty much everything you want in gymnastics, move your body and simply have fun.



Skills. What I ended up doing was something like this:

  • Trampoline jumping
  • Bar muscle-ups (PR 9 reps!)
  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Handstand
  • Handstand walk
  • Vertical jumps
  • Back lever attempts
  • Rope climb
  • Some other playing


We warmed up and finished the session by jumping around on the trampoline. This is familiar stuff for Jari as he used to do this kind of training on a daily basis in the history. I believe this was the first time ever for me to jump on a trampoline. That's sick but I don't recall ever doing it =) It definitely got my body prepared and pumped up. It felt a bit difficult to manage it as you can probably see from the video haha


After getting ready I decided to hit a couple of bar muscle-ups. It was a traditional gymnastics bar which was extremely slippery. I was afraid of getting any reps on that bar. It was also thicker than what I have used to. Took the first rep, decided to hit another. Turned out I crushed the old PR in bar muscle-ups with 9 consecutive muscle-ups!!! Previous record was 4 reps. The last ones where tough but I got them. Rested on top for a while and kept going. Great result for me.




We also played around with the rings. At this point I managed to get only 1 successful rep done, tried 2 more but didn't manage to reach good control on the transition stage. My body was smashed from the rope climb I had just tried. By the way, that's way tougher than it looks!


The place was perfect for all this kind of work. The floor was very flexible, made for gymnastics purposes so handstand and handstand walk was destined to happen today. On my first attempt (not on video) I was able to reach some sort of unbelievable stability on handstand hold, I simply stayed still without moving and I felt my feet were correctly flexed. Just felt like the best from I've ever had. Also tried to do some freestanding hspu's but happened to smash my head to the floor every time, nice


There were some parkour guys working out that jumped on the walls and moved around solidly. I tried to slide sideways on one wall as an inspiration from those guys. Jari also challenged me to some vertical jumps on pretty high box so I took it and got it. Take a look at the videos, it's difficult to describe all the fun we were able to haver there.



No doubt I'm going there another time too. Beforehand I thought this skills day would be lighter one. But my legs and back were cramping at times during the training. And upper body is done from all the muscle-ups. I guess there were about 15 reps in total. It was a lot of playing, we spent around 1.5h in the place and getting it done. Awesome place!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment