Friday, February 21, 2014

Friday 21.2: Clean and jerks, emom metcon

Friday. Strength, emom, 3 reps @ 70kg, for 12min. Metcon, emom, for 6min: 3 power clean (70kg), 30 du's.

It was time for some overhead work. Working for some strength but also technique too. On the metcon I had one thought: combine power cleans and double unders. It turned out to be emom training. After work it was ice hockey's semifinal game in the Olympics, Finland against Sweden, our lovely rival that this time beat our ass and proceeded to the Finals. Damn it! It was good inspiration to hit the gym and throw some weight around =)



Strength. Emom C&J's
  • Every minute on the minute
  • 3 reps @ 70kg, for 12 minutes

Worked with 70kg on purpose. I know that's a weight I can keep moving touch'n'go style and without having to rest the bar even at my chest. I use the momentum there after clean to bend my knees and simultaneously jerk the bar up. 60kg would have been too light for this workout, or then I should have more reps per minute. Having more weight would have been little problematic too because I wouldn't have been able to nail the reps unbroken.

Recap

The first set felt tough because it was the first one. I took just couple of reps for warm-up with 40kg and 60kg and these were the first reps @70kg. I felt okay with the reps, no doubt about it. I dropped under the bar pretty decently. Some flaws there in technique though. Something I should be paying attention to is my foot work. As I checked it from the video my feet land in various positions.

Metcon. Emom
  • Every minute on the minute, for 6 minutes
  • 3 power cleans, 70kg
  • 30 double unders

Surprisingly disgusting stuff =) Short workout, it took me off guard how bad it felt. Maybe it was because I took it quickly after the strength / technique part. I completed the cleans unbroken for sure. It was cool to do the double unders unbroken too. I was happy that I was able to force myself to start the du's quickly after the cleans.


The power cleans made me breath heavier so it wasn't pleasant to grab the rope but then again, when is a crossfit workout pleasant? And it shouldn't. You ought to have fun but you got to feel it in the guts. At least I enjoy that discomfort zone in a twisted way.






2 comments:

  1. And You r not participating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm not participating in the Open this year. I'm enjoying the Games as a spectator definitely, I love the show! Don't have the spark to compete though, I train by myself just for fun =)

    ReplyDelete