Saturday, February 22, 2014

Saturday 22.2: Rings, snatch singles, thruster/snatch metcon

Saturday. Ring skills. Strength, snatches 6x1 (around 60kg). Metcon, 5rds of: 5 power snatch (50kg), 10 pull-ups, 5 thrusters (50kg), 10 box. Result, 12.45. Cashout, 3x10 ring dips.

More oly lifts for Saturday. I did some clean & jerk work yesterday but still decided to go for snatches today and then a tough metcon to finish the deal. Did some ring mu progressions in the beginning. I've had some issues with them so I adjusted the rings lower and did jumping mu's plus some ring rows and transitions from ring row.



Strength.
  • Power snatch
  • 6x1 (55, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60kg)

For a long time I've been working my snatch technique and looking to improve the entire movement. It's such a complex movement. Lately I've been thinking about taking less reps with heavier weights to increase the strength on the movement. My kilos are way lower than they should be on snatch. And mobility is some sort of issue as my power snatch is better than my squat snatch. Okay about a week ago I for 57.5kg up on squat snatch whereas my power snatch max rep is currently 62.5kg.


Snatch 60kg

I took lighter reps today for warm-up before adding it to 55kg and taking a single rep. I felt like there's more in the tank so I went up to 60kg. I wasn't looking for a max rep today but heavy singles instead. Felt good to get all those 60kg reps up because it was so close to my max load. Very happy even though the technique wasn't perfect. Some of them fell a bit forward as you see from the videos. There were some crowd at the gym so I couldn't tape all the lifts.

Snatch 60kg


Metcon. Time 12.45
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 5 power snatch, 50kg
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 5 thrusters, 50kg
  • 10 box, 61cm

This was heavy shit! I completed all movements unbroken, snatches were he most challenging for me this time. It was more like the combination of all the movements that made it cruel. Doing snatches, pull-ups and thrusters is a nasty combo, I can tell it now. My upper body was pretty smashed after this one. The boxes were the easiest one on this one.

Had to stop every now and then to catch some breath and strength back from mid workout on. I'd like to be able to move on constantly but this workout was too much for me. There were 2 bar movements with weights that are significant to me, in a metcon I mean. 50kg thrusters and snatches are not that bad if I'm doing them for strength but in a metcon it's a totally different thing.


Legend


Those bodyweight movements were naturally easier and I had no problems whatsoever. Still, it was the combination that made this workout as difficult as it was. My round times got slower, don't remember the exact times anymore but I have a feeling the first one was less than 2min and the 4th was over 3min. I paced up on the last round because the finish line was in sight.




No comments:

Post a Comment