Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday 13.2: Clean and jerk ladder, clean pulls

Thursday. Clean & jerk ladder, 10 x 50, 60, 70, 80kg. Time 11.30. Clean pulls @ 80-100kg.

Time for oly lifts. Those are so vital movements that I need to be working on those. I want to be an all-around athlete and clean & jerk + snatch definitely are full body movements. So I completed an ascending ladder with c&j's and practiced some clean pulls in the end. It was a rare moment to have Tony the Pony training with me at the gym. He was doing deadlift triples plus a back-to-back Tabatas of push-ups, air squats and burpees. He's focusing a lot on deads, shoulder press and back squats currently due to the programming of his affiliate.



Metcon. Time 11.30. Compare to 29.7.2013
  • Clean & jerk ladder
  • 10 x 50, 60, 70, 80kg
I like these ladders. I've done couple of them, it's been thrusters and cleans before. This was the first time with clean & jerks. I've conducted them each time by completing 10 reps with 4 different weight sets, always climbing up with 10kg after every 10 reps. These can be very nasty ones. Grip strength, muscle endurance and metabolic conditioning. All play a crucial role. Plus it's also a good chance to work on the technique.

I completed the first 2 sets (50 and 60kg) unbroken. On the 70kg bar I did 3 reps on first attempt, then doubles till the end and one single in the end. I was able to take advantage of the barbell's motion. As I cleaned the bar and it landed on my shoulders I used momentum and jerked it up right away without stopping in-between. That's very important to find an effective tool on the clean & jerks.




At 80kg I did singles all the way. And at this stage I wasn't able to use momentum at all. It felt more like a heavier clean & jerk. Still, I power cleaned the bar up, no squat cleans at all. Then, I took another breath, inhaled, got a proper tension in my body, and push jerked the barbell overhead. Toni was giving some tips during the 80kg lifts about going down enough and jerking it properly, not pressing.

I definitely enjoy this type of ladders. I guess I must give the thruster and squat clean ladders another shot. I read the stories again from those posts and got inspirited to do them again.


Clean pulls.
  • Weights between 80-100kg
I was pretty much done after the workout. Those pull-ups from Mary (150 reps) really feels in my body so I didn't want to complete another metcon or so. Still, wanted to do something and decided to do some clean pulls for strength / technique purposes. There could be more weight for sure because in pulls you should have more kilos on the barbell than on regular cleans. It was most difficult for grip strength. The video above is 5x100kg.



2 comments:

  1. Thats amazing how you can link those reps still keeping form so solid.

    ReplyDelete