Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday 4.2: Mu's, ohs, snatch, metcon

Tuesday. Skills, muscle-ups. Strength, overhead squats. Snatch clinic, squat snatch from hang position. Metcon, 10 bar mu, 400m run, 20 c2b, 400m run, 30 pull-ups, 400m run. Time 11.45.

Time to wake up and go to work. I mean real work! It was Liikuntamylly training session ahead of me as the alarm clock woke me up. Muscle-up skills to begin with, overhead squats for strength and squat snatch as technique training. Naturally a metcon took place in the end of the session. Felt great after leaving the place. My butt cheeks are so sore from yesterday's lunges in the evening. Probably Sunday's heavy pause squats also have an effect. It took some time to get my legs ready for today's ohs and snatch.

65kg ohs

Skills. Mu's.

  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Bar muscle-ups

I had planned to do 5 ring muscle-ups, followed by 10 bar muscle-ups. The only part that sucked in today's performance was the ring mu's. Got only 1 successful rep. Yeah, I took 3 more ones but they failed, one after another. Some mental stuff because I can't find a reason behind that.

Ring mu


Okay, 1 ring mu and then 10 bar mu's. Decided to do them in singles and focus on my technique. Don't if it was so beautiful but at least I got there pretty quickly. Didn't have to stay and crank my way up there. I felt good with the bar mu's. I kept just a short break after each rep, to keep a good pace on them. Probably about a rep every 30 seconds. That's where I tried to keep it. There were more muscle-ups coming later on in the session.

Muscle-ups


Strength. Overhead squats

  • 5 x 40, 50, 60, 65kg
  • 2 x 70kg
  • 4 x 70kg

Got to use the opportunity of Liikuntamylly to work on my overhead squats and squat snatches. The possibility to drop the weight if needed is tremendous. Especially in the higher loads it's already a mental thing that you know it's safe to drop the bar when needed. And it's not that cool to bring a 70kg bar back to hips from overhead position. I gotta drop it.

Ohs 70kg

I did well on the ohs today. There was another crossfitter to workout, Petteri, who gave me some tips last time I saw him at Liikuntamylly in the Christmas time and since then I've worked more on pause squats in all possible squat forms; back, front and overhead squats. He was talking about the depth of the squats, it got stuck around my head. "Go as deep as possible" where his words. Not only to parallel but further down the hole. Ass to grass every time. He said he rarely does anything else than pause squats on the front squats. There's something to think about.


Recap


I tried to go deeper on the weights and I suppose I managed pretty well up to around 60kg, I actually stayed in the bottom for a second or two before coming up, as a quick pause squat. From there on I stayed at 90 degrees as there was probably some sort of self defense mechanism putting breaks on not to go deeper than parallel. I'm very happy to the way I got these ohs's today. My one rep max is at 75kg. So going for a double and then 4 reps at 70kg felt very pleasing to say the least.

Snatch clinic.

  • Hang squat snatch
  • 5 x 30, 40, 45kg
  • 10 x 1 @ 50kg

This is something I always look forward when going to Liikuntamylly. We worked on snatch technique  together with Toni the last couple of times we went there and he had an eye of a coach. Thanks again for those tips mister. I did lots of snatch balance and snatch presses, even tried some sots press (which btw seems impossible with my mobility) before adding weight on the bar. That snatch balance in particular is a king move. Teaches you some explosiveness. Petteri was also giving tips on the form and the shoulder positions, thanks for those cues!

40kg snatch


I felt much more confident on the squat snatches today than normally. I did them all from hang position, as hip snatches if I can call them as such. The starting point of the bar is at the pocket, not from mid-thigh. The technique definitely needs to be worked on. It's still quite rough on my way down. My feet land wider than on my overhead squats.


50kg pull on the snatch

More repetition to edge it out. I was happy to being able to rock 50kg snatches from pocket without missing any rep.


Metcon. Time 11.45

  • 10 bar muscle-ups
  • 400m run
  • 20 chest-to-bar pull-ups
  • 400m run
  • 30 pull-ups
  • 400m run

When you're at Liikuntamylly, it's almost compulsory to run. There's a 200m inside track. Main focus was on the pull-up bar action. There was a total of 1.2km run, always 400m between pulling myself up on the rack. First muscle-ups, then c2b's and finally basic pull-ups. Pull-ups seem to be some sort of strength, I suppose. But chest-to-bar's and bar muscle-ups are definitely not. I need a bigger kip on the c2b's than on normal pull-ups and at my regular gym the pull-up bar is close to a wall. I can definitely do c2b's there but because of the wall's near proximity I find it difficult to do consecutive reps. So I kind of have to do them as singles. Not drop from the pull-up bar but still it's very ineffective. And I want to emphasize, it's not the wall's reason, it's my own technique that sucks there.

Bar mu

So having a pull-up bar like this, with nothing even close to it, it's perfect to rock some mu's and c2b's. Didn't want to miss that opportunity. And they went pretty well. I had done already 10 muscle-ups earlier so having 10 more reps ahead of me was a bit intimidating. Plus I've never done any rep in a metcon this far. I started with a double, then did singles to finish the 10 reps. On the c2b's I did 10 in a row, then a 5, thought about doing another set of 5 but it turned out to 2+3.



Pull-ups were naturally much easier. Those c2b's made my wings burn. I nailed 15 reps in the beginning and then maybe 10+5 to reach a total of 30 reps.







2 comments: