Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wednesday 5.2: Heavy squats, squat/box metcon + sprints

Wednesday. AM: Heavy back squat doubles 10x2. Metcon, 7min amrap of: 3-3, 6-6, 9-9 etc, front squat (60kg) an box jumps. Result, round of 15's + 7 front squat (97 reps). PM: Sprints 6x400m, with 90sec rest.

Making those legs stronger! Back squat doubles for strength and a leg burner as a metcon. I'll bet I feel this one later on. My hip flexors felt hammered already after the training session. Wanted those squats to feel heavy and put more pressure on hammies and quads with a tough metcon that I got inspired by last Saturday's Winter War.

130kg


Strength. Squats
  • Back squats 10x2
  • 1x120, 2x125, 7x130kg

This was actually very good style of doing squats. Haven't done heavy doubles like this in a very long time or ever. Have to be creative on these strength workouts. I'm not the guy who gets inspired by doing 5x5 every time I hit the gym. I get bored on those. This was a good way of hitting the heavy weights instead of pounding lighter ones for longer sets.



I only had in mind to do 10 sets of doubles around 120-130kg and leave the rest of it open. I took the first set and realized it was tough but manageable. More would come up if I just added something on the barbell. I took it mildly and added only 5kg. Did 2 sets of which both felt heavy. Still, I understood it's only mental, just add another 5kg and do your work.

Only 2 sets to go

Managed to do the remaining 7 sets @ 130kg. That was good news to me. It's rare to get as many reps done with a weight like that. For me 130kg is already a good stuff. Have to concentrate to get the bar up. Max load is only about 10kg higher. After a total of 5-6 sets it got very tough, especially the second rep. I'm proud I was still able to finish it without any misses or decreasing the weight.




Metcon. Result
  • 7min amrap of:
  • 3-3, 6-6, 9-9…
  • Front squat, 60kg
  • Box jump, 61cm
Nice one. They did a similar type of workout in the Winter War, with two changes. It was a 5min amrap and front squats were thrusters, same weight though. It looked good so I wanted to try this type of rep scheme and tease my lower body and lungs. Tomorrow I had planned to push some weight in the air so I didn't take thrusters or anything shoulder-to-overhead movement on this one. No surprise it was a nasty combo with both movements pressuring legs.



It was easy in the beginning but I knew it's deceptive. No surprise because the reps would get bigger each round. I understood this so I took it easier in the beginning as well. Maybe could have speeded it up a bit more in the beginning. It might have slapped me in the face later on though. I did this workout unbroken up to the round of 9's. Box jumps were ub all the way but I had to cut the squats on the round of 12's to 6+6, and on the round of 15's to 3x5reps.



These moves made me suffer in their own special way. Box jumps made thighs burn whereas squats just hurt the muscles in a different way. Very good workout if you ask me! Today was all about legs and conditioning. I had planned to go for some sort of run in the evening too.


Sprints.

  • 6x400m run
  • 90sec rest between sprints
  • 1km recovery run
  • 5 wall climbs

I ran for a while, opened up my hips to get ready for some running intervals. I didn't record the times on the sprints and the rest time was also counted manually. I tried to count the rest precisely after first stint. It was a walk between two landmarks in the woods, and I kept walking between those landmarks between each set. I aimed for 90 seconds every time. I had my clock with me and timed only the last 400m sprint. It took me about 1.22. The distance was also manually measured as I was running in the in the middle of the woods, instead of a track.

My "track"

I was pondering between just completing a recovery run or doing intervals. Couldn't resist doing a little faster sprints. Didn't go with 100% effort because I already smoked my legs in the morning. It's gonna be a training day tomorrow as well. I went jogging for another kilometer or so and spotted a perfect wooden wall in the kids' playground. Had to stop and do couple of wall climb overs. Don't know what you should call them but I guess they called it wall burpees in the Games last year.


Don't know what happened to the colors on this one...




No comments:

Post a Comment