Friday, March 14, 2014

Friday 14.3: Overhead squats + outdoor metcon

Friday. AM: Strength, overhead squats 6x3 (max 70kg). PM: Outdoor metcon, 15min amrap of: 20m sandbag (20kg) lunges, 15 burpees, 7 t2b. Result, 6rds + 6 burpees. Had to modify in the middle of the workout.

We headed to the gym early in the morning with Pauliina for some strength work. It was about time to replace those overhead squats I missed Tuesday when we were working out with my bro at Liikuntamylly. OHS had been banging in the back of my head since then so I had to do couple of sets. In the afternoon I squeezed in a metcon at our backyard.



Strength.
  • Overhead squats
  • 3-3-3-3-3-2 (50, 60, 62.5, 65, 67.5, 70kg)

Talk about a weakness. Here it is. Squat snatch and overhead squats are not that comfortable movements. I always feel like there are mobility issues restricting me to lower myself perfectly. That's naturally just an excuse, I should be working those weak spots and make both movements my "thing". I would like to have a little more narrow grip. Currently I'm having my hands in the very end of the barbell. If the grip is more towards a jerk grip, I can't get low enough. The thing is that I believe my body leans a little too much forward and I can't hold my weight on the heels. This is something I need to be working on.

70kh ohs

This is kind of a complex movement, even though you can do it with a slow pace. Compare to squat snatch where you have to explode under the bar. I was able to handle the weights today pretty well no matter the technical issues. Plus I was able to hit the depth on the squats well. On the last set's 3rd rep my right elbows just gave away and bent on my way up. Result was the bar started coming down and I had to throw it forward. That kind of bugged me as it was so close to nail the sets with success.

Recap of overhead squats

Played a little in the end with overhead squats at 40kg and double unders. Not a workout, not for time, just wanted couple of longer sets overhead squats. I took sets of 15 reps. I changed my "metcon sneakers" on and it was a totally different thing to do overhead squats with. Oly lifting shoes are so much stable in all squats. On my sneakers it felt like the form was twisting more than normally.



Metcon. Result 6 rounds + 6 reps
  • 15min amrap of:
  • 20m sandy lunges
  • 15 burpees
  • 7 toes-to-bar
After eating and chilling I walked my lady to the train station as she was out to see a friend. That was a perfect time slot for me to throw in another metcon as I only did strength in the morning. I was thinking about the gear I have in the cellar and what movements to combine in the workout. The answer was Sandy, our beloved 20kg sandbag that we created together with Toni for "HC Triplet II - In the Woods". It was nasty then, and it still has her moments.



My goal in this one was to have my lungs make some work, get the breathing heavy and you've reached your goal. Burpees is another great tool for that purpose. Plus I wanted it to last for a little longer, 15 minutes was what I ended up with. Having only lunges and burpees would have been a little boring so I added t2b's to get something extra in the game.

Backyard workout

This was a good one, I really enjoyed working through it. In general, working outdoors is great. I get the kicks out of it, every time, no matter the weather. But, today the weather was just beautiful at the same time. Sun has been shining nicely throughout the week, couldn't have asked for a better one for this holiday week. Wind was blowing roughly today, but the buildings were protecting a lot so it didn't bother at all, it was a slight cool breeze.



I did those t2b's on the kids' swing. On the 4th round the little people came to play at their swing so naturally I left the t2b's alone and concentrated in solely lunges and burpees. The result was 3 normal rounds and then 3 rounds without toes-to-bar plus lunges and 6 burpees on the 7th round. So there were a total of 7 round of lunges and 96 burpees, and 21 t2b.

Now it's time to chill for this Friday evening, eat some more and let this body recover. By the way, Crossfit Open 14.3 seemed like a great workout. Take a look!





No comments:

Post a Comment