Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday 8.3: Ring mu's, back squat max, pair wod

Saturday. Ring muscle-ups. Strength, back squats max out (PR 145kg). Pair wod with Sipa. Part I: complete 50 thrusters (50kg), on top of every min 4 burpees for both. Part II: Row 3k in sets of 250m while the other partner completes 15t2b. Part III: 20 squat cleans (80-90kg).

This is exactly what I've been waiting for: some training time with my big bro! These training sessions are awesome, we can uptalk each other for great performances and also give tips on our techniques on lifts and skills. That's he reason why we try to hook up as often as possible to crossfit together. Reality brings some difficulties which is why this was the first time we worked together this year =) We started by playing with the rings, then maxed out on back squat and finally worked through a pair workout.

PR 145kg
Skills.

  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Complete 5 reps
  • Practice non-false grip mu's

This was a great session! I took traditional ring muscle-ups like I've done them always this far. No problem, taking a false grip then a slight kip and hopefully a quick transition to get over the rings and land on the dip position. We took 'em alternating with Sipa up to 5 reps. I think he took some doubles there as well. Anyway, we were done with this, just a little quick fun skills set before strength. Then we thought about trying to get some reps done without false grip. That's a totally different ball game when you take into consideration our skills level on this particular movement.

No false grip

I took my first try and was so close but once I got on top of the rings I fell through the rings. There was no doubt I would get one if tried another shot at it. Same happened with Sipa. It was just inches away. On our second try we both made it successfully. I almost took a double without false grip. If I have false grip there's no chance to go for a double. So this success significant for future progress. I'm very happy we both made it!



Strength.

  • Back squats
  • 3x105, 2x125, 1x135, 1x145kg PR

There was only one objective on this one. Chase a new PR. Having done heavier sets for the past weeks has paid off. My loads on back squats have mostly been around 130-135kg for doubles, triples and fours. Earlier this week I got 140kg up 5 times (a double and 3 singles). Today on my climb up I jumped from 135kg straight to 145kg. It was tough, no doubt about it. Still, I had to try 150kg which was a pathetic attempt this time =) I'm gonna get it. Just have to do more work, getting legs stronger. This was a huge thing for me.


Skills and squats recap


Pair workout with Sipa.

  • Part I: Complete 50 thrusters (50kg) in sets of 5 reps. On top of every min, both complete 4 burpees
  • Part II: Row 3.000m, in sets of 250m. While other one rows, the other one completes 15 toes-to-bar
  • Part III: 20 squat cleans, alternating singles. Weights between 80-90kg

This was awesome! Three-part workout where the first part was about thrusters, second one about rowing and core work and finally heavy clean singles in a metcon is always refreshing.  Completing it together with my bro made it even more fun. We are pretty much at the same level in fitness in both strength and metabolic condition so we can easily do same amount of work in about the same time frame.



The first part was a quick one. It was about 3.40 when we were done with the thrusters / burpees. After that I didn't take a look at the clock anymore. Every minute started by both of us doing 4 burpees, then the rest of the minute thrusters in sets of 5 per athlete. It was either 2 or 3 sets of 5 reps per minute. Breathing got fast quickly but I felt there's enough strength and endurance left in the tank, no prob hammering through the thrusters. Total of 16 burpees and 25 thrusters.

The second part of the workout was miserable. Rowing not that bad, my pace was around 1.40-1.42 for most of the sets, the last 1-2 sets were slower, something around 1.45. But those toes-to-bar were tough! We agreed on 15 reps or max effort if 15reps turned out too challenging. I fought through those 15 reps each time. For 2 or 3 sets I went unbroken, then had to break it. First 10+5, and finally smaller sets. My abs and hip flexors were burning badly. Very tough indeed! We rowed for 3k, so it's 1.5k for both plus 90 t2b's.

Pair workout


The last part of the workout was in my wheelhouse. Heavy cleans is something I love. And it seems to be spectacular to incorporate some heavy barbell stuff within a metcon. You can add cleans, deadlifts, thrusters or something alike. I like it anyway. We had planned on 80kg but I had to upgrade it after 3 reps. First to 85kg and finally to 90kg for the last 4 reps. Cleans caused me no probs whatsoever. I felt like I could have continued them forever. That was an amazing feeling because we were both smashed after the rowing and t2b's. It was cool how well we were able to recover so quickly for heavy lifts.

Thanks bro for joining me at the box. Saturday night fever, no one else at the gym. Just two Lamppu's working out. Good skills progressions, PR on strength and once again, an awesome workout with you. More of this!



4 comments: