Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday 30.3: Rings, squats, deadlift metcon

Sunday. Ring skills. Strength, 7x2 (across 125kg). Metcon, 7rds of: 6 deads (130kg), 6 hspu, 25 du.

Day after 14.5: Quads are touch-sensitive. And the burden can also be seen on upper body. Still, I feel good and it was time to get this lower body stronger. Squats was the name of the game. Deadlifts were seen too, accompanied with some bodyweight movements. Pauliina and Juuso were at the gym as well.


Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups
Today my mu's weren't the most beautiful. I did one false grip mu to get some feeling going on. Well, the feeling wasn't all the way there and this time ring mu's kind of sucked =) That's just a minor setback anyway on this particular skills training. I completed 1 false grip and 3 regular grip before I called it quits.


Guess I should have paid attention to this instruction video of Dave Durante doing some ridiculously easy looking muscle-ups. So effortless. Beautiful.



Strength.
  • Back squats 2-2-2-2-2-2-2 (all sets 125kg)
I'm telling you my quads - especially my right one? - was sore as hell already yesterday evening. Didn't get any easier during the night. After a proper warm-up there were no problems at all squatting my butt off. I took 7 sets of doubles, this time a little lighter, @ 125kg. The weight was manageable all the way. It wasn't a walk in the park but definitely manageable in all sets.


Metcon. Not for time
  • 7 rounds of:
  • 6 deadlifts, 130kg
  • 6 handstand push-ups
  • 25 double unders
Yesterday's workout was so tough on my lungs that it hurt in my throat for the entire evening. I guess I gave everything I had in that one =) Had to take some extra C-vitamin as it felt like some sort of flu was coming. I've had that feeling couple of times before, mostly after Fran or Grace, quick workouts were you have to go 100% from the very beginning. Feeling after 14.5 was the same. One of the nastiest feelings on a long time.


Anyway, that was the reason I took it a bit easier on this metcon. Okay, I did it with a good pace all the way but there was some extra walking around the gym because I did deadlifts and double unders at other end of the gym and handstand push-ups in the other one. It's about 10m walk between the stations. The movements themselves I did in a regular style, unbroken and with good pace. Didn't rest between movements. That walk between stations made it easier. All in all it took me about 13min to finish the workout.


Nowadays I don't do that much deadlifts anymore. It was about time to get some reps in the books. Decided to put 130kg on the bar and complete 6 reps per round. That was rather light weight but of course during the course of the workout it started to get heavier. Still, totally able to manhandle it.


Handstand push-ups were most challenging movement of these three. Had no problems doing them unbroken though, just 6 reps per round but at this point I felt yesterday's workout in my triceps. Hadn't realized it this far. But they hurt from the first round on =) Decided to push the pain aside and complete the reps.


Double unders rolled nicely too. I guess it was the 4th round where I stumbled with the jump rope but other than that I was able to complete all rounds unbroken for the required 25 reps. Plus I believe my body was in a good form, straight torso. That's been my focus area on this movement for the past couple of months. Aiming to get the reps done economically.


It was a good training session once again. I feel like the workouts have lately been good in nature and suited my situation well. It was also nice to complete 2 Crossfit Open workouts and compare my results to the Finnish elite guys. On CF Open 14.3 I would have been somewhere around 35th place and currently at about 15th place on CF Open 14.5. I'm happy about the performance I was able to do on these two benchmarks. Now I'm just waiting eagerly for the Regionals that start in May. It's gonna be an awesome competition.


Juuso did squats too and then completed a 12min amrap of: 5 power cleans (60kg) and 10 box jumps. That seemed like a good metcon too. I believe he resulted in 7+ rounds. And by the way, I wrote yesterday that 14.5 was his first CF Open workout. It was actually a second one as he finished 14.3 too, both with glory.

Recap of the training day



1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add the recap yesterday. Now it's there! -Don

    ReplyDelete