Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday 9.3: hspu, kettlebell, c2b

Sunday. Metcon, 10 rounds of: 5 hspu, 10 kb swing (32kg), 5 c2b. Time 15.00.

It's not that often that I take a kettlebell with me to the gym. It's kind a hassle to carry it with you for longer distances. It feels it weighs a ton when you carry it for minutes. It would be better to have two of them as in farmer's carry but carrying only one is a bit twisted. Anyway, I took it with me today and did a 10-rounder. Good metcon!


Metcon. Time 15.00
  • 10 rounds of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 kettlebell swings, 32kg
  • 5 chest-to-bar pull-ups
It was very refreshing to have a kettlebell used in a metcon. I've utilized it earlier more in outdoor workouts. It works perfectly for those purposes but rarely have I dragged it to the gym. It was a good decision. Total of 10 rounds of hspu's, kb swings and c2b's. Chest-to-bar pull-ups are definitely a weakness for me. I do them very seldom. Don't know why but they just haven't been part of my programming.



It woke me up as I saw them in Crossfit Open 14.2 event: couplet of overhead squats and c2b's. Both movements that I don't do very often. The workout would be a killer to me. Today I got some confidence doing c2b's.


I dominated the handstand push-ups in the metcon. No prob there. Unbroken kipping hspu's each round. They didn't burn my shoulders and arms as they sometimes do when lots of reps take place. There was a total of 50 reps in this metcon.

Recap of the metcon

Even though it was only 10 reps per round it turned out to be 100 reps in total. It mostly burns my forearms and eats up my grip strength if I do a high-rep workout. But the movement itself is natural and my range of motion has always been good on the american swings (straight overhead).


I'm glad there were some chest-to-bar's involved in this one. Five reps per round might sound small for athletes that are used to nail bunches of them but for me it's a lot to do 50 reps in a workout. My pull-ups are a strong suit and I can also do bar muscle-ups without misses but c2b's are a challenging movement. I usually use a stronger kip when doing them but the pull-up bar at this gym is rather close to wall so I've been explaining myself it's difficult to do c2b's here. Well, as we all know that's just an excuse. I should be able to do these no matter the place. So I did them today unbroken each round. Very happy about that.


And it felt surprisingly good to do them. All in all, the metcon itself was a success. Good heavy breather and at least my upper body got what it deserved. Hspu's, kb swings and pull-ups was a good combo. Once I get those ring muscle-ups rolling a little better than currenty, I'll definitely do benchmark workout Nate, 20min amrap of ring mu's, hspu's and kb swings.


Next week I'll be on a holiday so it's time to go to Liikuntamylly again for some tough training sessions! Looking forward to the week





No comments:

Post a Comment