Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thursday 6.3: Ring mu's, 20min amrap

Thursday. Skills, ring muscle-ups, complete 6 reps. Metcon, 20min amrap of: 7 hspu, 7 t2b, 7 ring dips, 21 du's. Result. 8rds + 5 t2b (348 reps).

It's been two weeks of hard core action since last rest day. Some days have been easier, some days tougher. And it's been lots of different style training sessions. Lots of squatting and rings, that's my focus lately. Many of the workouts has been created by intuition, on the spot. I'm happy I got a chance to work outdoors too. Today I continued the success of ring skills and then completed a metcon that smoked my upper body. Spectacular crossfit session.



Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Complete 6 reps

I had a more difficult time for couple of training sessions. I was really deep back then. I was thinking about the progressions for ring mu's again, and how to get even a single rep. Then I watched Rich Froning smash the Cinco 2 in last year's Games and it struck me again how to get the reps done. Since then I've done 26 reps without any misses. That feels extremely good! And I've gained the confidence again to complete them rep after rep. It's good, GOOD!


CF Games Update Show



Metcon. Result 348 reps, 8rds + 5 t2b
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 7 handstand push-ups
  • 7 toes-to-bar
  • 7 ring dips
  • 21 double unders

Okay, this was optimistic. More likely, the time frame considering the amount of hspu's was optimistic. It was a misery after about 4 rounds. My shoulders and triceps were completely smashed. It was intentionally 7 reps of hspu's which is not bad for couple of rounds but coming to think about the number of rounds, it was a lot! This was the most I've ever done in a workout - 63 handstand push-ups. I guess it was something like 3-4 rounds unbroken, then I had to start cutting the sets. First it was 4+3, then 3+2+2.



Toes-to-bar was clearly the easiest movement. Didn't cause any issues at any stage of the workout. And I was able to jump on the pull-up bar instantly without having to catch my breath. Ring dips is my "goat", my weakness which was exactly the reason I had it mixed in this metcon. Both hspu's and dips caused a lot of pressure on triceps and shoulders so having every other movement either hspu or dip was taxing on the upper body. I guess it was something like 2-3 rounds unbroken, then it was too much to handle at one attempt.


Stacie Tovar on CF Open 14.1



Double unders were my thing. Went through them unbroken. Only at one round - maybe 3rd one - got stumbled at 20 reps. Can you imagine that..? I was already done with the set in my mind and got sidetracked. So it was practically unbroken all the way.

It's difficult to describe the feeling in my upper body during the workout. It felt like there's not strength at all left. My breathing was under control all the time. It was odd that my engine was rolling nicely and without any problems, I felt like I could have continued for ever. But my strength vanished at some point. Especially from upper body. Each hspu was a battle in the last rounds, same with the dips. T2b's and du's were the "rest" in the workout. Very good workout in my opinion. And I'm happy there was a serious amount of hspu's involved in 20 minutes.


Pretty awesome behind the scene clip




No comments:

Post a Comment