Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday 25.3: Hang cleans, 20min amrap

Tuesday. Barbell work, hang squat cleans 5-5-5-5-5 (across 70kg). Metcon, 20min amrap of: 5 power snatch (40kg), 10 burpees, 15 box, 20 du. Result. 10du short of 8rds.

Today's agenda included some barbell work for hang cleans, not too heavy, more like technique training. Kept it at a weight I was able to manhandle. The metcon was on main focus today. That turned out to suck big time, of course in a good crossfit style. Had a training partner with me, Juuso. We weren't able to do same workout but the time frame was same so we had share the agony together.



Strength.
  • Hang squat clean 5-5-5-5-5 (across at 70kg)
Today I intentionally stayed at lighter weights. Squat cleans from pocket. I wanted to focus on the speed rather than big weights. I did 5 sets of 5 reps. It felt as good no matter if it was the first or last rep of the set. I felt like it was pretty smooth effort all the way. Below you see one of the sets in the middle.

By the way, it was awesome that we got those big-sized plates at the gym! We've been missing them for a long time. I tried to persuade the guy to purchase those 5kg and 10kg big plates at the gym. He's awesome, he has already bought the Rogue wooden rings and Rogue plyobox. Those are crucial equipment for me as a crossfitter. And now he was able to buy the big plates too. So respect to this guy who listened and wanted to help us crossfitters too.

I guess there's no excuses anymore not to practice on my snatch? I've thought having only small plates is an issue not to work on this movement. I've done my snatches mostly from hang position. Exactly for this reason.

Hang squat cleans

Metcon. Result 390reps (7rds + 10 du)
  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 power snatch, 40kg
  • 10 burpees
  • 15 box jumps, 61cm
  • 20 double unders

Uuh, this was sick. My shoulders and legs both got smoked. It was something like 11min left in the workout and I was done. It was mentally not the easiest place to be. However, by not thinking about the toughness of the workout but instead, just focusing on the rep at hand, I got through the toughest part and then it started to get easier psychologically.

My focus in longer metcons - well okay pretty much in every metcon - is to maintain the pace from beginning to the end. Today it was not possible, my energy level dropped during the workout and I had to rest my elbows on my knees occasionally. My round times got a little slower each round.

New plates

Still, I felt like I had nothing to give after the workout. It was almost exactly 8 rounds, just a couple of seconds short of it. I was able to complete 10 double unders on the 8th round. 10 more and it would have been exactly 8rds. That was 40 snatch, 80 burpees, 120 box and 150 du. I didn't see it coming beforehand but there were 3 movements were you have to more or less jump (burpees, box, du). I'm telling you my legs were jello after the workout. Plus my shoulders were done because of the burpees.

I went through the workout unbroken. It was awesome to have those big plates on the barbell. It's a totally different thing to have minor plates even though the weight would be the same. The metcon itself was a good breather!


Rich Froning's CF Open 14.4, best performance of the workout in the world. Take a look at the speed on the muscle-ups, in the transition stage




No comments:

Post a Comment