Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wednesday 26.3: Rings, squats, rowing metcon

Wednesday. Skills, ring muscle-ups. Strength, back squat 5-5-5 (130kg). Metcon, 1.000-800-600-400-200m row, 10 hspu per round, 10 t2b per round. About 20min.

Wanted to play with the rings again. This is a skill I need to be working on consistently. I was on the verge of skipping back squats due to schedule but found time to squeeze in couple of sets. Metcon was focusing on rowing and handstand push-ups.



Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups
I'm very happy of being able to throw in couple of reps every now and then. Haven't had misses in a while and those regular grip muscle-ups are rolling nicely too. It's not easy to get doubles at the time, occasionally I get those, sometimes not. I met a friend Tuukka at the gym who I haven't seen in years. He can nail muscle-ups confidently. His friend is a gymnast so that's how my friend has gotten his skills going, by training together with a semi-pro.

It was awesome to chit chat with a guy to share those experiences together. He obviously plays a lot more with the rings in general and talked about doing front and back levers, ring dips and bar mu's. They all assist in getting stronger with ring mu's.





Strength.
  • Back squats 5-5-5 (across 130kg)
Couple of sets I was able to go for today. My warm-up was sets with something like 60, 80, 105, 120kg. The first set was clearly the easiest. On the second and third set my pal Joni spotted me just in case. The last set was very tough and I needed Joni to hold my rib cage so I could push the weight back up. It was a good and short squat session, tough one!

Toni's first muscle-up ever, congrats!


Metcon. Time about 20min
  • 1.000-800-600-400-200m row
  • 10-10-10-10-10 handstand push-ups
  • 10-10-10-10-10 toes-to-bar
I took this one with easy pace. Didn't mind that much about the clock this time. Main thing was to get some rowing in my body, I haven't done it lately. Also another main focus was bigger sets of handstand push-ups. I took 10 reps per round. T2b's were too easy, should have taken more of them, 15-20 reps per round.

My rowing was somewhere around 1.50 or even 1.55 pace. I took the hspu's unbroken for 4 rounds. On the last one it was a struggle after 5 reps. I fought through to 7-8 reps and then finished it. T2b's didn't feel practically and were done obviously unbroken. Had to do one of the sets with a thick square support beam because pull-up bar was occupied at the moment. It didn't matter, it was still easy. The last set of 200m rowing had to be skipped because one lady was attacking the rower.



No comments:

Post a Comment