Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thursday 10.4: Burpees and du's

Thursday. Weighted pull-ups for fun. Metcon, 8rds of: 10 burpees, 25 du. Time 8.49.

My only thought for the training day was to get some burpees in my system. I was thinking of completing 150 burpees in 50-40-30-20-10 with some rest in between sets. That was the first thought. Juuso actually did that one. Here's a link to my performance doe time ago. Then I started thinking about wanting to have double unders in the game too. I remembered having done a couplet of the two movements but didn't quite recall the specifics. My metcon was almost similar as to the one I had done last summer, a mainsite wod.


Pull-ups.
  • 5 x strict chest-to-bar pull-ups
  • 5 x 10kg pull-ups
  • 5 x 15kg pull-ups
  • 5 x strict pull-ups

However, before I took on the metcon, I saw a friend of mine was doing some weighted pull-ups. Haven't done them in ages so I asked to step in just to remind my body how it feels like. Nothing serious, just couple of reps for fun. Might hit more reps in the future.

My warm-up routine nowadays include strict chest-to-bars almost on a daily basis. Only few reps but still I want to get my system used to the movement as strict version. Those pull-ups were light in nature. Especially 10kg set. I've done mostly kipping pull-ups and I've ignored strict reps almost entirely. Haven't found a way to include strict pull-ups in my training. I don't want to have strict reps in metcons where I wanna keep my body moving as efficient as possible. But strict rep sets would definitely be useful in the beginning of training sessions.


This Virtuosity stuff is awesome. Did this without the paralletes about two weeks ago. Used plates instead of parallettes. It works


Metcon. Time 8.49. Compare to 31.7.2013
  • 8 rounds of:
  • 10 burpees
  • 25 double unders

It's a pity I didn't remember the time domain on the workout. This was originally crossfit.com workout 27.6.2013. It was 12min amrap of the couplet, same rep-scheme as I had today. The combination of burpees and double unders is sick in the long run. I mean breathing is pretty much as heavy as it gets. And shoulders start to smoke after couple of rounds.

I was able to knock the double unders almost unbroken. There was one miss on either 2nd or 3rd round. Other than that it was perfect. And felt good. Burpees unbroken too, and with a consistent speed. I looked at the round times, they stayed quite even. First 1-2 rounds might have been faster but then it was quite identical between rounds. The thing where might be something to improve is the transition time. Classic.

It's difficult to drop the jump rope and have chest to deck 1-2sec after that. It feels like I need to have those 5 seconds before dropping to the floor. Same after the burpees. It takes some time to get up, grab the jump rope and start jumping. Especially as I want to get those du-sets unbroken. Anyway, the workout is very good, and exactly what I wanted. Yesterday there wasn't a metcon at all so I was longing for one.




No comments:

Post a Comment