Thursday, April 3, 2014

Thursday 3.4: Squats, row and burpee intervals

Thursday. Strength, back squats 4-4-4-4-4 (130kg). Pair wod, 8 rounds of: 400m row, 10 burpees.

Time to get some squats in the play. I went to the gym with Pauliina and Juuso. Did some squats with my training buddy for starters and then we continued with a pair wod, by combining rowing and burpees in interval style. Short rest between sets. Good session!

He's done!
Strength.
  • Back squats 4-4-4-4-4 (125, 130, 130, 130, 130kg)
My focus was on back squats, whereas Juuso did heavy front squats. We alternated the sets. I climbed up from 60, 80, 105kg, then took my first set at 125kg. I felt like there's more to give so I completed the rest of the sets at 130kg. It was time to do 4 rep sets. Those felt perfect for today. The last 1-2 reps were as challenging as they should be. It wasn't easy to get them done, had to concentrate properly on my breathing and form to get it done.

I felt good going for 5 sets of 4 reps with these weights. I guess it would be wise to do more front squats too but it just feels like there's so much to work on and it's difficult to do everything all the time. So it's a lot of balancing between movements continuously.

CF Games Update, women's side


Pair wod.
  • 8 rounds of:
  • 400m row + 10 burpees
It was good to do this one together with a training partner. We took turns on the rower so that either of us was rowing all the time. I started by rowing, Juuso took on burpees. After I was done with the 400m row, I jumped off and completed 10 burpees immediately, and Juuso took the seat on the rower right after I finished rowing. So after burpees had been done you had some time to rest while the other guy was still doing his share of the rowing.

It was as cruel as I though it would. Total of 3.2k row and 80 burpees is a nasty combo. Rowing started to feel in the guts about from mid-workout on. First 200m were okay but the last 200m wasn't fun =) It was time to put those thoughts aside and just keep on pulling. My focus was to do the burpees right after I stepped up. No breaks in between. The rest was scheduled to take place after the burpees. Burpees burned too, especially because my legs were hammered after rowing (and heavy squats).

It was a good heavy breather. Thanks for tagging along J. In the end I played with the stall bars, looking to some day complete a flag pole move. The metcon was tough - no doubt - but after 2 minutes I was pumped up to workout more. Felt like I could do some more strength work =) Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to hit it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment