Friday, May 2, 2014

Friday 2.5: Squats, 7-round metcon

Friday. Strength, back squats. Metcon, 7 rds of: 5 power clean (60kg), 10 box, 5 push jerk (60kg, no rack), 20 du. Time 15.29.

Back at the gym with barbells. Probably no surprise to anyone I was pumped up to get that bar on my back rack and squatted. Also took a metcon of cleans, jerks and some bodyweight stuff. My body felt so tired after the squats, it was very awkward that 60kg barbell felt heavy on cleans. I was still able to push through the workout.


Strength. Squats

  • Back squat 5x80, 3x105, 5x120, 5x130, 1x135kg

Had no specific agenda on the squats. I kept adding weights on the bar and listened to my body. After 105kg I wanted to take in some 5's. First set of 5 reps was 120kg that came up pretty smoothly, it felt good. The next set was @ 130kg. My goal was to hit it with same rep-scheme as the previous set.

I'm telling you my legs were smoked after that set. During the set my legs suddenly felt like led and it was challenging to get the reps up. I had a good state of mind at that point and there was no doubt the reps would be completed. Felt great to nail in all five.

5x130kg
But it had its effects. It took pretty much all my energy and I didn't have juice left in my tank anymore. Plus my appetite had been served so once I put 135kg on the bar it felt much heavier even though there was only a 5kg difference. I took a single rep and failed on the second =) That was mental weakness I got to say. Should have been able to get at least 3 reps done. But lack of concentration and game was over. It was time to move on to the metcon.

Metcon. Time 15.29

  • 7 rounds of:
  • 5 power clean, 60kg
  • 10 box jump, 61cm
  • 5 push jerk, 60kg
  • 20 double unders


Some clean and jerk action combined to bodyweight movements - box jumps and double unders. I didn't use a rack on the jerks, picked it up from the ground instead. I reckoned 60kg wouldn't be that tough but it certainly was. That's something like 55% of my max so it should be light. However, it felt way heavier for some odd reason.


I got everything unbroken on this workout and the round times were pretty even. The feeling was anyway that it was heavier than I'm used to. Box jumps were okay, it actually felt like 10 reps was not much. I've done workouts with 15+ box jumps per round so it felt like it's nothing.


It wasn't a pleasure putting my hands on the barbell for jerks but once I took it up the jerks weren't that bad. I nailed them unbroken in touch'n'go style. Pump it up and down. This was the part of the metcon that brought me some satisfaction. Haven't done that many 60kg jerks in a metcon this far. Definitely worth a shot! I remember doing push jerks and pull-ups, that was tough! Something like "2007" like they had in the Games last year.


I enjoyed getting back at the gym after couple of days. I need to have my hands on a barbell on a regular basis. I also need to work on bodyweight movements, classic cardio and pretty much everything that includes in fitness. That's called constant variety. I'm in to whatever sports and fitness that come across me.




2 comments: