Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday 1.6: Gymnastics session

Saturday. Gymnastics. 1: 5 sets of 10 strict hspu, 10 strict pull-ups. 2: 5 sets of 10 strict ring dips, 1min dead hang on pull-up bar.

Oh boy, the wake-up was rough. My left hip flexor is indeed smashed. Home doctor evaluation says it's inflamed so got to let it be for now. Now working out with lower body whatsoever. It's difficult to walk, it's pretty much limbing style that I roll now. That doesn't keep from working out though. Don't want to use that as an excuse. But I'm not trying to be stupid. I defined the workouts so that they bring burden to my upper body only. Strict reps of hspu's, pull-ups and ring dips. Don't wanna use kip to engage lower body.



Gymnastics.
  • 5 sets of:
  • 10 strict handstand push-ups
  • 10 strict pull-ups
I was thinking about making it emom training to get my heart beat up. That's what I would have really wanted. Metcon after metcon to get my lungs back to shape.With strict reps it's way more challenging and once those muscles start to get numb there's not much to do. Kipping helps in those situation but I had decided not to kip.


Recap


So I took strict hspu's to start with. First round went unbroken. That's by the way more than I've ever done as strict hspu's, c'mon! My "official" PR is 18 reps, used kip motion then. The following 4 sets of handstand push-ups were completed in 3 sets: 6+2+2 each round. I'm very happy how I got these through. There was a possibility that I would have to cut them to more pieces but fortunately I got them done pretty well.

Strict pull-ups are also a rarity. It would be smart to do 'em every now and then but it usually turns to kipping pull-ups because I incorporate them into metcons and there the idea is to complete the reps as quick as possible. Then strict reps wouldn't be the smartest thing to improve metabolic conditioning. Last reps were tough in each set, no doubt. First set was actually quite smooth but then from 2nd round on I had to battle those last 2-3 reps.



Gymnastics.
  • 10 strict ring dips
  • 1 min dead hang on pull-up bar
Ring dips were a bit too easy this time. I was in my thoughts I guess because I realized this only after the workout was done =) I had no issues in any of the sets. Ring dips is something I've considered a weakness of mine. The problems usually occur in high-rep ring dip workouts. But a 10-rep set shouldn't bring any issues. I should have put bigger numbers per round.

But the pull-up bar hang was nasty! I thought it would be cool to just hang around there and enjoy the moment. It was disgusting. Phew. On the first round I was there for about 50 seconds before dropping and finishing the 60 seconds with another 10 sec hang. On the following rounds I completed the 60 sec hang in 3 sets. About 30 + 15 + 15 second sets. My forearms were tingling and they started to go numb. Also my grip strength simply wasn't there. I felt my fingers sliding down the bar little by little.

This was a good substitute day to what I had originally planned. A different one. I missed the metcon and strength but these practiced movements were something that are always useful. I had thought of hard core bar action and kettlebell / run metcon outdoors but I'll save those for another moment.

Mr. Muhammed rocked that rope climb / sprint workout last weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment