Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Wednesday 28.5: Comeback workout in Helsinki!

Wednesday. Strength, push press 5's. Emom, 5 hang power clean, 60kg, for 6min. Metcon, 5min amrap of: 10 pull-ups, 10 box. Result, 6rds + 3 pull-ups.

How awesome was it to land back home in Finland full of energy to hit the gym. After breakfast I had no other choice but to leave my baby to sleep and jump in the car, head to the gym and start working out. I've missed barbells so much it's difficult to describe. I was like a little kid when I saw those pieces of metal. After 2 weeks rest of barbell work I didn't max out today. More like getting a feeling back to working with weights. Presses, hang cleans and finally a metcon to burst my lungs.

Back in biz!
Strength.

  • Push press 5-5-5-5 (60, 70, 75, 80kg)

I was very happy on the way I was able to move the bar. I was afraid all my strength had disappeared during our holiday but that was luckily not the case. I took shoulder press 5's with 40kg and 50kg before making it to 60kg for push press action. Second set was also very manageable at 70kg, no problems at all. At 75kg it got heavy but I managed it as planned. I was thinking about hitting the last set with same weights but then added five more kilos to reach 80kg.

First rep was the toughest on that one. Second and third went way better. Fourth was challenging and fifth simply didn't come up. Desperately tried it twice. Had to re-rack it and finish the last 5th rep. That was a bummer but then again, I'm very happy on how I was able to carry this strength portion through.

Press recap

Barbell.

  • Every minute on the minute, for 6 minutes
  • 5 hang power cleans, 60kg

I wasn't ready with barbell work. I took couple of sets hang power cleans just for fun. Then I decided to turn it into an emom workout with 60kg. Why not take 5 reps every minute for couple of minutes to get a good feeling on the movement. Had no problems with these cleans. That was encouraging. Okay, the weight isn't heavy at all but still it's cool that the weight felt good. I tried couple of hook grip reps during the sets. That's something I don't usually do.

Hang power clean emom workout


Metcon. Result 123 reps (6 rounds + 3 pull-ups)

  • 5 min amrap of:
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 box jumps, 61cm

Pull-ups are such a basic movement that should never be left undone. I have considered pull-ups a strength of mine. Today they didn't feel like it after ignoring them for about 2 weeks. I did some reps in California - pull-ups and L pull-ups - but nothing serious. Maybe something between 50-100 reps total, most of them strict.

Metcon

I went unbroken on both movements though. My heart rate was high and lungs were doing lots of work. It feels like these past 2 weeks had their effect or then it's the long traveling but it anyway it was like a lot of burden was thrown at my lung capacity. I was still able to move pretty smoothly and with consistent pace for the entire workout.

Box jumps went nicely. They were the first jumps with new Nano's. They worked exactly as they were supposed to. Nothing to complain. The day as a whole was just great. I had a lot of energy to workout and I really needed this one. I did some lighter workouts in Cali but nothing really serious stuff. Now it's about time to get real again and feed this body with what it deserves. Hard work is ahead of me, stay tuned!

Pistoling on top of L.A.! 
Handstanding in Manhattan Beach



No comments:

Post a Comment