Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday 9.6: Thrusters and pull-ups

Monday. Combination of thrusters (40kg) and pull-ups, total of 60 reps both. Workout, 4rds of: 10 t2b, 10 ring dips.

I got inspired from Games Update Show host Pat Sherwood for today's workout. He has posted some pretty sick workouts in his Instagram channel which he has trademarked "Monday Monster Mash". Check out the dude's nick with "sherwood215". I've intentionally ignored traditional strength training and focused on metcons to improve my working capacity. Little by little I'll take it back into action too.



Metcon.
  • At 00:00, 21 thrusters (40kg) + 21 pull-ups
  • At 04:00, 21 thrusters (40kg) + 21 pull-ups
  • At 08:00, 9 thrusters (40kg) + 9 pull-ups
  • At 12:00, 9 thrusters (40kg) + 9 pull-ups

I started to describe this one to Pauliina and the first question she threw at me was something like: why didn't you do Fran? =) Haha good question but the focus was a little different. These four sets were supposed to be sprints, all in efforts. Don't take it easy, Pat described it as: "If you pace, you lose".

This is good preparation to a workout like Fran, no doubt about it. But it was a good quick sprint for couple of times. Those sets were cruel. I didn't expect it to go under my skin that way. I went unbroken on the first round. On the second one I dropped from the pull-up bar at 15 pull-ups. From then on everything was unbroken.

The combination of the two movements is somehow unique. Forearms are tingling in a different way than in any other movement combo. Naturally breathing was through the roof on each of the rounds.





Cashout.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 toes-to-bar
  • 10 ring dips
My shoulders and upper body was smashed after the "Fran-ish" so I just played around with 2 movements. This was nothing serious, just wanted to do these movements for quality. I've added ring dips lately because I want to start dominating the rings.



Champ rocking it!



No comments:

Post a Comment