Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunday 29.6: C2B, Squats, Karjalan Kovin

Sunday. Gymnastics, C2B progressions, 7x6 reps, 0:50 rest between sets. Back squats 5x5 (max 120kg). Metcon, 5min amrap of: 10 box jump overs, 10 thrusters (40kg). Result, 97 reps.

I had a good feeling about today's workout already before I stepped over the gym's threshold. My gut feeling was on spot. I feel like the programming today was good. Gymnastics to start with, work on those weaknesses. Then old school squat strength, and finishing it off with one qualification workout for Karjalan Kovin, one of the most known Finnish throwdowns.

Our newest family member

Gymnastics. C2B
  • Chest-to-bar pull-ups
  • 7x6 reps, 0:50 rest between sets
I told about this one to Toni and he knew instantly where I got the idea from. 'Competitorstraining' for sure. Ben Bergeron has come up with a progression for c2b pull-ups. This is the first step, 7x6 reps, totaling 42 reps in 7 minutes. It's kind of like an emom workout for 7min. I thought this is a good starting point because I really wanna excel in c2b's. Regular pull-ups are rolling well already but I want to make this one of my strengths too. Had no problems in manhandling these reps which got my smiling all the way.




Strength. Squats
  • Back squat 5-5-5-5-5 (100, 110, 120, 120, 120kg)
"Regardless of what the problem is, the answer is to squat". Couldn't agree more with the statement, first introduced us by the founder of Crossfit, Greg Glassman. Lately I've been cleaning a lot as well as putting lots of weight overhead, thus squatting has not been the main focus. I think I'll put more effort on squats in the near future.

This time it was 5-rep sets for a total of 5 sets. Those 120kg sets were tough. They were hard last week too so this means I got to have more weight in my back and do the work. Legs have to be strong in order to do well in this sport. It's a strong prerequisite for having an efficient motor inside as well as strong legs.



Metcon. Result, 4rds + 7 thrusters (97 reps)
  • Karjalan Kovin, 1st event
  • 5min amrap of:
  • 10 box jump overs
  • 10 thrusters, 40kg
My legs were smashed after having done those squat sets. Took couple of min rest before attacking this 5min amrap. I thought it was short so of course I could go all in even though those legs were screaming for help. High-rep thrusters have always fell short on my shoulders, never on my legs. Have I dropped the barbell on thrusters, it's been because of upper body. Shoulders have gone numb at some point. But legs have always churned on. Today my lower body was jello from the second round on. Guess those squats had their effect on this one.

I did both movements unbroken every round. I have a feeling I could have done these faster with fresh legs, or actually shorten the transition times between sets. It was a good short, intense workout and really got to me. Had to ask Pauliina to shake my legs after the workout, they were in shock after those 5 minutes. That was very helpful.


It sure was a good training day. Gymnastics/skills, strength and a hardcore metcon in the end. And my shoulders were feeling much better than yesterday. The recovery has taken place and they feel fine now. Looking forward to the upcoming week!




No comments:

Post a Comment