Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wednesday 25.6: Muscle-ups, rope climb, Regionals 50's

Wednesday. Skills, muscle-ups, rope climb. Regionals Event 6. Result, 431 reps

Training day with my main man Toni! Freaking awesome. He's on summer holiday and I was going to work for the evening so we had plenty of time to schedule our morning for some crossfit action. I got a chance to play around with different skills scenarios which was great. And we locked this workout together with Toni some weeks ago and decided to hit it some day together. That day was today!



Skills.
  • Ring muscle-ups
  • Bar muscle-ups
  • Rope climb
It was great to get some room around me when attempting muscle-ups! At my home gym the wall is quite close for bar mu's and the ceiling is low on ring mu's. Those might be excuses but at least it was cool to practice these skills at Toni's crossfit affiliate as there was a lot of space to play around. I took some mu's on both rings and pull-up bar. I almost got 3 in a row on rings, well okay almost is as much as nothing so let's say I got 2 reps =)

On bar mu's I felt very good. I was able to do work with my entire body and hip was doing it's share in the process. I landed smoothly on top of the pull-up bar , not unevenly as I sometime tend to. These muscle-ups were good indeed.


Skills, recap

A newcomer in my training was the rope climb. Yesterday I checked the video below by Carl Paoli and with those tips in mind I was going to make it a successful attempt. He had effective tools to make it easier on the grip. Okay I didn't take many attempts but at least those didn't burn my forearms and hands in a similar way as it has 1-2 times before when I have climbed a rope. This is definitely something I'd like to do more often. I've seriously thought about buying a rope but I really don't know where to hang it for training purposes.

The most difficult part of climbing the rope was clinging the rope between feet. And the second toughest was coming down after reaching the ceiling. By following Carl Paoli's tips I saved my forearms a lot.



Workout. Regionals, Event 6. Result, 431 reps.

  • 50 calories row
  • 50 box jump overs
  • 50 deadlift, 83.5kg
  • 50 wall ball, 8kg
  • 50 ring dips
  • 50 wall ball, 8kg
  • 50 deadlift, 83.5kg
  • 50 box jump overs
  • 50 calories row (got to 31 calories before time cap)
  • 30min time cap

This looked rough at first sight. The very first time I saw this when it was published I knew I wanna do it someday. What I was most afraid of was the ring dip portion, 50 reps in a row is no joke as such but doing it during a workout was even more frightening. Box jump overs is something I've done once before, couple of weeks ago with Juuso in Pirkkola. But it was on a bench that was probably something like 40cm in hight. Today's box jump overs were on a regular 61cm box.

I started the workout with a steady and smooth pace on rowing. It would have been stupid to burst out of the gates and hit it hard in the very beginning. This was a long workout and winning couple of seconds on the rower would bring no real benefits. The thing where you make the difference in this workout are the breaks. How long are you gonna stop and breathe before continuing. We were done at the same time with Toni. We are definitely 2 different type of rowers as you can see from the video. Toni is pulling shorter and more frequent strokes where I aim to pull strong and then recover slowly before the next stroke. The result was even though, no matter the style. Toni was 1 stroke ahead after stepping off the rower.


On the box jump overs I felt being efficient. We did this "Regionals-style" meaning we moved the box further after every 10 reps. Same thing with the deadlifts, move the bar after 10 reps. I figured jumping right back after coming off the box is the most efficient style to nail these reps.

Deadlifts were light, we had 83.5kg. However, when doing 100 reps with any weight, it starts to come heavier than it actually is. I took 2 or 3 sets as 10's, then finished it off in 5's on the first round. Wall balls were 10's on the first round and it felt good. Even though my shoulders were getting burned and my lower back was also smoked.

First 10min

Next station, ring dips… I did much better on them than I expected! Got it done in sets of 5 reps up to 25 or 30 reps. After that I took it in 3-2 reps per attempt. These dips were very encouraging. On the latter set of wall balls i got some issues. My lower back was getting hotter and hotter after every rep and it felt horrible. I hoped to complete sets of 8-10 reps but after the first set it was actually 5's.

Having finished the wb's the deadlift barbell wasn't that attempting with a back that was burning hot already. I finished deads in sets of 5 reps all the way. After getting the last deadlift done I took a sip of water and started jumping around over the box. I think I did these as effectively as on the way up, for some reason these suited me very well!



This movement is a heavy breather though. After 50 more reps only the rower was ahead of me and the clock was ticking ahead. At this point the Open Gym was about to start and some people had already poured in and they were cheering us to finish strong. This really helped mentally and I was able to push through even though my heartbeat was through the roof. Rowing after having moved around for about 28 minutes is horrible. I gave it my all and was pulling the boat like a maniac. I had 31 calories when at the time cap so I was missing 19 calories to finish the entire workout. Toni had 8 box jump overs on his way back. To no one's surprise Toni had miscalculated the weights on the deadlifts and completed it with 73.5kg =)

I'm grateful for the chance to workout with Toni at their affiliate and for the coach who was there all the way with us and was talking us up from the very first minute all the way to the end. The spirit at the Box was great, once again.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks bro, nice workout! That 50 ring dips almost killed me!!

    ReplyDelete