Sunday, July 27, 2014

Saturday 26.7: Oh lunges, Wall ball, Burpees

Saturday. Metcon, 3rds of: 20m overhead walking lunges (40kg), 20 wall ball (9kg), 20 burpees. Cashout, 100 push-ups.

There's a huge heat wave going on in Finland right now and at least our apartment is extremely hot. It's 30+ degrees outside and it's not getting any easier inside. Without a proper air conditioning it's even sweatier indoors. We slept late, ate breakfast, and started thinking were to go to avoid the humidity. Thought about hitting downtown and to Kaivopuisto afterwards but then again it was a perfect weather to go the in-laws in Klaukkala. Chill out for the weekend right there. I'm very happy on this idea thrown in the air. I grabbed some stuff with me and off we were with Pauliina.

My baggage


Metcon.
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 20 overhead walking lunges, 40kg bar
  • 20 wall ball shots, 9kg
  • 20 burpees
Our own terrace was way too hot to spend time but here the backyard is just perfect for relaxation. We went to pick up some delicious salads on our way, reminded us of Wholefoods food court in LA. That was a sweet memory, we both fell in love with that health food stuff when we were back in California in May.



After chilling out for a while I got a grip of myself and put on training shorts. Here's a barbell, pull-up bar, sled, kettlebell and wall ball. From this mix it turned out to overhead walking lunges, wall balls and burpees.

Those overhead lunges are a killer on shoulders. No need to put that much load on the barbell, it's gonna burn 'em anyway. Having more weight would probably put a lot of pressure on the core but this weight was tolerable. It's much more taxing on shoulders and legs. My warm-up wasn't the best possible so the first set of lunges was the toughest. Hip flexors were kinda tight but then flexed up during the workout.





This wall ball of mine is just a tool of perfection. I went with 20 shots per round. Felt good on those and I found a good rhythm on the movement. I haven't measured the hight of the target but there's a horizontal reference point above which I throw the ball. It feels like it's over the standardized hight of the wb shots.

Burpees are always cool. Taxing but somehow rewarding stuff. I did 20 in a row each round. Those were nasty towards the end, no doubt. But I went unbroken with them anyway. I remember Graham Holmberg once said there is no reason to stop on burpees. It is such a simple movement. Just go down, hit the chest on the floor and come back up.




Cashout.
  • 100 push-ups
After resting for 5 minutes I hit an extra 100 push-ups just for the fun of it. Not timed, just work through them. First set 20, then 10's in the end. Push-ups are also such an easy and simple movement but really gets under your skin after hitting them for a while.








1 comment:

  1. Good to hear that you utilized the training facilities in Klaukkala once again! You are always Welcome!

    ReplyDelete