Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wednesday 2.7: Handstand, Snatch complex, Jerk, Wall ball

Wednesday. Skills, handstand. Complex, 2 power snatch + 2 snatch balance (40-52.5kg). Strength, jerk (max 95kg). Cashout, 200 wall ball together with Toni.

I had the morning off and Toni is still on holiday so we had the chance to repeat the same idea as we did last week. Woke up in the morning, I drove Pauliina to work and then headed to meet with Toni in Eltsu. We had agreed on olympic lifts but hadn't locked it up what to do exactly. That was the first mistake, we didn't quite get our heads together and we couldn't find this session as productive as we wanted.




Skills.

  • Handstand

This was fun after having neglected for a while. First attempts felt like I haven't tried handstand walking like ever. It was very shaky and I couldn't find balance at all. But on the 3rd attempt it was like I was at home again being inverted. Today I tried to focus on my breathing. It's been an issue because halting breath is not a good thing with this movement. I can stay inverted for about 20+ seconds but then as I lose focus and start breathing all of a sudden I tend to collapse. Breathing steadily all the time would be ideal.



Complex. Snatch

  • 2 power snatch + 2 snatch balance
  • Numerous sets at 40-45-50-52.5kg
  • Another complex of:
  • 1 snatch deadlift + 1 snatch pull, 60-70kg

I took quite a number of snatch related movements with empty bar and 30-40kg barbell: power snatch, snatch press behind the neck, overhead squats, snatch balances and squat snatches. Even though my upper body was warmed up after handstand and even though I carried my own foam roll with me to get ready for squat snatches, my body never accepted the fact it was time to go ass to grass.

So I didn't force it but instead came up with this complex of power snatches and snatch balances. And this set felt good. I didn't keep count on the number of sets I got with this complex but I started with 40kg and then built up after maybe 2-3 sets to 45, then 50 and finally 52.5kg which was the heaviest weight on this one. Don't remember exactly how many were done with these weights.

On the power snatches my focus was on hook grip and bar path. Snatch balance was a substitution for squat snatches. I wanted to copy the bottom position of a squat snatch and this time snatch balance seemed like a good choice for that one. Those felt way better than the squat snatches I had tried earlier.



Strength.

  • Snatch deadlift 70-90-110kg
  • Split jerk 4x50, 3x60, 2x70, 2x80, 1x90, 1x95kg

Toni suggested to work on the starting position of a snatch so I took couple of sets snatch deadlift + snatch pull combination and after working on those I took snatch deadlifts and tried to build it up a little heavier. I believe it would be a great tool to build on my snatch for sure. Today was just a first glimpse on that movement.

We had great ambition on the split jerk training from rack. However, I felt it already at 50kg that my body wasn't that receptive to barbell work today. I tried to make it believe it is ready but that strategy didn't work well in the morning. We built up to 95kg but those weren't the most beautiful reps I have done. Front leg wasn't doing its share of the game and I was jerking the bar too much front instead of straight up vertically. Well, I'll take it for now, 95kg is okay number to get up on a bad day.



Cashout. For about 7min

  • 200 wall balls as a team, alternating after 10 reps

I had carried my wall ball around so I wanted to play around with it for more than just warming up. I suggested Toni we'd do 10 reps per guy, alternating right away after we've done our share. So Toni started, I took off immediately and we continued this way until we had 200 reps done. It took quite precisely 7 minutes.

It was a light workout in the end. I felt much better in my joints after having done that. Maybe I should have completed those wall ball reps prior to barbell work. This didn't get to my breathing basically at all, that's because there was that pause while the other guy was throwing the ball. I really love working with wb, I always have. I'm so happy to be an owner of one!




No comments:

Post a Comment