Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday 15.8: Back squats and Double unders

Friday. Strength, 7x5 back squats (max 120kg). Skills, 200 double unders.

Got one thought in my mind entering the gym: squats. Decided to hit quite a number of them this time and longer sets, totaling a lot more kilos than regularly. Had in mind to go for quick and fierce rowing intervals after squats and finish my legs that way but it turned out the rower was occupied so I had to improvise. It's been long time since I did double unders so it was about time to get my hands on the jump rope again.




Strength.

  • Back squats 7x5 (100, 110, 120, 120, 120, 120, 120kg)

You can see in the video below my "new style" squats. This is the first back squat video I've been able to publish. I've written to you guys how I was enlightened by Chad Vaughn and his tips was to put ass-to-grass every single time. He phrased it more like full ROM - Range Of Motion - squats. You've got to go as low as possible, either pause squats or then push your butt as deep as possible in the hole.

And I've done exactly that. This hopefully brings help to my clean simultaneously. I need to get quicker in the transition and pull under stage. Currently I've probably been afraid to get under the bar but these squats should increase the confident level of being under the bar in the deepest possible position, like in the clean.

My sets today were 5's, took one set at 100, and another at 110, the rest with 120kg. Even though the weight itself shouldn't be that bad, several sets of 5 reps started to burn my legs and the last rep of the sets was pretty tough. I brought everything home without a spotter and I was confident of doing so but they were heavy still. But damn it feels good to drop down and bounce back up. I'm wondering why I haven't done it this way always. Full range of motion rocks!



Skills.

  • Double unders, 200 reps

Instead of rowing I took some double unders. It was probably a month ago when I've done this skill for the last time. It was that one 20min amrap where my right calf went to a cramp. Since then it's been impossible to jump. Now it's been okay for a week and I don't have anything stopping me to do all I imagine.

These double unders felt great! My rhythm was on the spot right away and it felt very natural. Felt like my torso was also more upright than normally and I was able to maintain a good form. At least I tried to look from the mirror, and was satisfied on the way those looked like.






No comments:

Post a Comment