Monday, August 11, 2014

Monday 11.8: Jerks, Rowing, Push-ups and K2E's

Monday. Strength, emom x 12min: 1 power clean + 3 split jerk (across 70kg). Metcon, 4rds of: 500m row, 25 push-ups, 12 k2e. Time 14.29.

Finally some overhead work for this guy. For some reason I've taken less weight overhead lately. No specific reason, just haven't done them that much. I took 'em as emom training and then hit a pure cardio blast workout: rowing, old school push-ups and knees-to-elbows. It was a tight package session and tomorrow I'm getting outdoors with 95% probability so it's gonna be a different type of workout again with some friends.



Strength.
  • Every minute on the minute for 12 minutes
  • 1 power clean + 3 split jerk
  • All sets @ 70kg
Every minute on the minute rocks, that's for sure. Suits for pretty much every strength movement. This time it was jerks all the way. I wanted to take the barbell from ground to make it a notch tougher and simultaneously work on my power clean with moderate weight. Beforehand 70kg seemed intimidating as I had sealed the weights in my mind already before entering the gym. However, the weight turned out to be rather light.

My 1RM is 105kg and I've regularly jerked 90kg bars up in the air. However, I thought going too heavy in the beginning might bring troubles so I stayed lower and this was emom-workout after all. Obviously I couldn't go as high if I had to complete reps every min. I'll probably redo a jerk workout later in the week and that time forget about the time and just go heavier.

This was a very good stuff for me. I felt confident and the bar path felt natural all the time. I didn't pay attention there would have been any deviations from normal lifts. I was steady, solid and tight throughout the body, from legs to core, to shoulders and elbows. Felt like I dominated the barbell.




Metcon. Time 14.29
  • 500m row
  • 25 push-ups
  • 12 knees-to-elbows
How simple can it be. This was beautiful in its own nature. Row the boat, push yourself away from the floor and complete the round with some core work. Rowing was definitely the nastiest of these 3 movements. I kept the pace sub 1:50 except for the last round when I slipped to sub 1:55 pace.

Those push-ups caught my attention couple of days ago from somewhere. I realized it's such a basic movement, and I really don't do them that often. Very rarely to say the truth. Those would definitely be a good add-in at the end of a training session as a cashout, 50-100 reps for "fun".

As core movements t2b's and k2e's are great. I've been doing toes-to-bar quite a lot so I figured changing it to knees-to-elbow for a while. They were so much lighter than t2b's! That caught me by surprise. I nailed them unbroken each round. Okay, my grip strength was a little shaky towards the end but the movement itself was the easiest for me.

Good and simple workout! It took me 3-4 minutes per round to get the work done. I took the push-ups in mostly in sets of 12-7-6 except for the first round where I did them in 2 sets (18-7). Didn't want to burn my upper body in the first round. No excuses, they felt a lot tougher than they should. Even though I at least tried to keep the recovery short between sets, there must have slipped away valuable seconds. Lesson learned: do more push-ups.



No comments:

Post a Comment