Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday 4.8: Front squats, clean/hspu emom, t2b

Monday. Strength, front squat triples (max 122.5kg). Metcon, emom x 7: 3 squat clean (70kg) + 6 hspu. Cashout, 50 t2b.

Another week of hard work is ahead. I really enjoyed the workouts last weekend. Now it's time to get back to the gym and start grinding. Keep on getting stronger and have metcons in the daily programming to get good lungs and efficient engine. Today the agenda included front squats, emom-workout of cleans and hspu's. In the end there were a bunch of toes-to-bars. The best moment of the day was at the work place's restaurant when I saw an old friend of mine who had been to Denmark as an expatriate. He had started crossfit while working there at Crossfit Copenhagen and is now back in business at the same location where I'm working. We naturally hooked up a workout for tomorrow. I was all smiles after that.




Strength.
  • Front squat triples
  • Sets at 80, 100, 110, 115, 120, 122.5kg
I'm glad I've made a comeback to real squatting. There were some holiday trips and issues with my leg so it hasn't been that active squat sessions lately. I'd like to do this master movement about 2-3 times a week. It was front squat's turn to be in the head role as last time it was back squats. We talked the Chad Vaughn tips in length with my bro and we share his opinion. We were enlightened in a sense. I'll try to go for full ROM each and every time I do squats for strength. Not just below parallel but smash that butt to the heels. Today was second or third time squatting after I read Vaughn's post on Instagram.

The benefits are obvious. Mobility increases without a doubt. Plus I want to make it under the bar every time I clean the barbell. I don't want it to be just a deadlift or clean pull without dropping under the bar. If the lift doesn't succeed, it's because I cant's stand up with the load. That's my goal, and I believe there's a lot of potential in my clean right now.

On today's front squats it felt different to traditional squats exactly because of that bounce at the bottom. Just like in squat cleans. I'm very happy on the weights I was able to move. I have to say I don't remember having taken a triple at 122.5kg. There might be but I doubt it. This was a great success!!!




Metcon. Emom x 7min
  • Every minute on the minute, perform:
  • 3 squat cleans (70kg) + 6 handstand push-ups
I copied this one from Toni's workout on Sunday. Just changed the weights and reps but the idea was great and I saw the potential for a good workout right away. It was difficult to think about the rep scheme though. I did the cleans with a squat @ 70kg and figured 6 reps of hspu might be doable. It was for about 3 rounds. From then on those hspu's started to feel heavy. Cleans were clearly the lighter of these two movements. I did those t'n'go style each minute.

Hspu's were t'n'go for probably 4-5 rounds. The last 2-3 rounds were unbroken too but I had to reset at the bottom position before nailing the last two reps on those rounds. That naturally caused the recovery time getting shorter towards the end which didn't help at all =) I got those 7 sets done within the time frame, and then did one extra set of both movements without the timer running anymore. This was a cruel one, took my juice away wholeheartedly.




Cashout.
  • 50 toes-to-bar
  • Sets of 25-15-10
After getting my breath back I jumped on the pull-up bar for a cashout which was 50 t2b's for quality. Had no goals for this one except doing them. At first set I took 25 reps, then carried the weights away and came back to nail another 15 reps, then cleaning up the place a little more and finishing it off with 10 more reps to reach 50 total t2b's.




2 comments:

  1. RX version of that workout is 2 clean + 3 deficit hspu but I was too weak and had to scale to normal hspu after first minute. My shoulders were hammered after all those muscle ups and hspu's. Btw lovin' those deficit hspu's

    ReplyDelete
  2. They kick ass for sure! Have you tried your "max depth"? -Don

    ReplyDelete