Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday 10.8: Rings and a 5x3min amrap session

Sunday. Skills, ring muscle-ups. Metcon, 5x3min amrap of: 3 ring dip, 6 burpee, 9 box. 1min rest between amraps. Result, 3rds + 6 burpees each round. Cashout, 50 t2b.

The night was long yesterday as we were home at about 2.00pm after our friend's birthday party. That's why I also needed to sleep a lot longer than normally. Ate a huge breakfast, let it settle for a while and then hit the gym. The party was a blast. Teemu had booked an old military boat, a minesweeper, from the 50's that has now been turned into entertainment purposes. This 36m vessel had 2 big cabins in which you could find sauna in the other one and a karaoke space in the other one. Plus on the deck there was a 10-12 person jacuzzi so the surroundings were great. I bet there was about 40 people in there so it was destined to be a fun party and it was cool to see some old friends! We hung about 3 hours in the sea before heading back to the mainland.




Skills.

  • Ring muscle-ups

I wanted to get my hands on the rings again. Toni just did his first mu and was so joyful like a little kiddo in a candy shop. That made me also want to try them out again. I went on without false grip in each attempt. Took a total of 5 reps, you can see them in the video below. A double once and then all singles from then on. I think I had better use of my lower body than normally. I usually don't tend to utilize the "backswing" that much with my legs to get proper momentum but this time I did it better than normally.



There's still work to be done. It feels heavy to do several reps in a row. Of course this would be only a matter of focusing in increasing the amount of practice with the rings. I'd like to see similar progress with the rings as I just had with bar muscle-ups. Those feel light every time I do them and now my technique has gotten a big step forward. I'm sure Toni will be cheering for every rep he does on either bar or rings, and he's gonna say it outloud. Maybe that will push me also practice more on tho skill =)




Metcon. Result, 63 reps (3 rounds + 6 burpees) each round

  • 3min amrap of:
  • 3 ring dip
  • 6 burpee
  • 9 box
  • Rest 1min, and repeat for a total of 5 amraps
As I was driving to the gym I took a look at my training plan and realized I didn't have a metcon finalized in my notes. Had about 10 minutes to come up with a good plan and I certainly did. This was a hero wod Chief-style workout where you complete a 3min amrap of 3 movements with a rep scheme of 3-6-9 repetitions. After that 3min amrap you rest for 60 seconds and then repeat the same work. The workout includes 5 sets of these 3min amraps. That makes it a total of 19 minutes, of which 15 minutes is pure work time, and 4 minutes is recovery.



I thought about the movements and how many I could nail in a row so that I would be able to go unbroken on the workout. The point is to keep moving no matter how you feel. That's why bodyweight movements are great for this kind of training. If you have some weight, be sure to keep the load movable. Kettlebell would work perfectly or cleans as in Chief, I think also snatches would suit well. But the weight can't be too heavy as you have to move unbroken.

My result was 3 full rounds, 3 dips and 6 burpees on the first round. I thought the pace would slow down a bit, and be closer to 3 rounds towards the end but my mental game was strong today and no matter how ugly it felt, I kept grinding through those feelings and remained at the same rep amount each round, for all 5 sets. That was 63 reps in total, which means approximately 1 rep every 3 seconds.

3min amraps


Ring dips weren't that bad, they were the easiest of these movements. Burpees after dips felt tougher. However, those were always easy on the first round of the amraps but then from second round on I needed to push more to get them going with the same pace. On the third round I usually slowed down on the burpees a little but body kept moving.

I was excited to get back on box jumps again. It's been 3 weeks without any jumping. No box jumps, no double unders. I've been careful not to make the calf cramp return. I was happy to get some box jumps done and even though they made heartbeat skyrocket, I nailed them unbroken all the way. Felt comfy with them.


Obviously the first amrap was the least challenging. But the level had been set so I had a clear goal for the remaining amraps. I'm very satisfied with the pace I was able to maintain. It happened to be 60 ring dips, 120 burpees, and 135 box jumps. Good amount of reps for this Sunday!


Cashout.

  • 50 toes-to-bar

Just needed to get some extra work done. I've been thinking about this kind of style. Just complete 50 reps of certain movement at the end of the training session without thinking about it too much. Don't time it, just do the work. Get some work being done. For technique purposes and for example these t2b's for core work. You could also do it for ring dips, burpees, push-ups, knees-to-elbows, or light barbell work.


This was a good training session for sure. I was mostly excited about being able to do box jumps and also ring muscle-ups without problems. And the cardio work was great too.

Here's a video of Toni's first ring muscle-up. The joy is something beyond words =)




2 comments:

  1. " I don't normally do muscle-ups, but when I do i let everyone hear about it".

    It was my best day as a crossfitter. Today I nailed seven bar muscle ups in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that line sounds exactly like you!

    ReplyDelete