Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thursday 28.8: Push press, Thrusters, Pull-ups

Thursday. Strength, push press 3-3-3-3-3 (max 85kg). Metcon, intervals of 15 thrusters (40kg) + 15 pull-ups.

I've enjoyed this training week a lot. For some reason I feel very satisfied on the workouts that's been written in my program. Today I continued to strengthen overhead positions through push press triples. Plus there was something close to Fran-ish as a metcon, combination of thrusters and pull-ups is always a suck up. But at the same time, there's some sort of pleasure in all that. I've taken more mobility stuff in my evening routines. Usually I do some foam rolling on my lower body and back but shoulders have not been mobbed that much. And that seems to be some sort of issue considering overhead squat / squat snatch end position so I asked for shoulder mobility stuff from a colleague and got good tips.



Strength.
  • Push press 3-3-3-3-3 (80, 82.5, 85, 80, 80kg)
Got to get my shoulders stronger, overhead strength is what I'm looking for. Jerks and presses are the answer to this one. Just checked what I've done lately and it looks like there's been push press / push jerk / clean and jerk / thrusters in about 3 days cycle. This has been intentional. Today it was time for push press triples.

Wasn't sure to what I would be satisfied beforehand. Afterwards as I thought about it, I was very pleased. Not sure where I've been lately with triples. But this must be very close to the best results I've ever been. 90kg is my 1RM this far with push press, not that I've really tested it in about a year though. Usually these triples have probably been between 70-80kg, but this is pure speculation 'cause I don't remember exactly.

There were some reps I wasn't entirely satisfied, some technical flaws. But the big picture is that it went great!

Here's the match between Washington and Philly


Metcon.
  • At 0:00, perform 15 thrusters (40kg) + 15 pull-ups
  • At 3:00, perform 15 thrusters (40kg) + 15 pull-ups
  • At 6:00, perform 15 thrusters (40kg) + 15 pull-ups
  • At 9:00, perform 15 thrusters (40kg) + 15 pull-ups
This was painful. The combo of thrusters and pull-ups makes a painful mixture. I wrote this in interval style. Total of 60 reps of both movements, thrusters at 40kg. The goal of the workout was to redline each interval, that means balls to the wall - style, as Jason Khalipa would phrase it. It took me about a little shy of one minute, I walked couple of meters from pull-up bar to the timer and it stated 58 seconds both times so it was probably close to 55sec in real life.

On the third set some gal went stretching under the pull-up bar which forced me to do the pull-ups in a thick square support beam as strict pull-ups. That wasn't optimal but I tried to concentrate and hit the reps anyway. After 8-10 reps the pull-up bar became free so I jumped there to finish the set. This back and forth action took me a little longer. On the 4th and final set I dropped from the pull-up bar after 10 pull-ups, then finished it. All thrusters went unbroken, my shoulders were burning a lot from the very first set. Those push presses definitely had their effect. I'm happy I grit my teeth to push through the pain anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment