Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday 19.8: Jackie, 3-Rounder and Tabata Rowing

Tuesday. Benchmark workout Jackie, time 7.24. Metcon, 3rds of: 10 hspu, 20 t2b, 30 squats. Time 7.07. Metcon, Tabata rowing, result 944m.

Tuesday was practically a non-barbell day. Okay, had an empty bar for Jackie, which is by the way a workout I've never hit before. After recovering for a while, I tried to fix my overhead squat position with my training partners, then went after another bodyweight workout, created on the spot. Chilled out a bit, then jumped on the rower for Tabata workout, also first timer. Usually I don't have time to do any mobbing afterwards, I tend to do it before the workouts, but this time I sacrificed about half an hour to stretch out and other mobility stuff. And it felt great!



Jackie. Time 7.24
  • 1.000m row
  • 50 thrusters, 20kg
  • 30 pull-ups
Alright, first date with Jackie. Every now and then this one pops up into my head but for a reason that I don't know this lady has stayed in the background and has never been done. This sounds rather easy, and I want to emphasize the word "emphasize". Had no idea how to approach the workout. It was obvious that I couldn't push it through unbroken and that means there's gonna be breaks during the workout. That's the reason why I figured not to gas myself out in the rowing. I took it easy with 1.49 pace. It was exactly 3.38 as I finished the 1k row. Definitely not fast but winning 5 seconds here wouldn't do any good for the rest of the workout. For Games athletes it would make.

From this moment on I had no idea how to proceed. So I took the barbell in front rack position and started moving the bar up and down. I exaggerated the movement so that I went way below parallel, more than needed, because that's the way I like to do my squats nowadays. For this workout this was extra range of motion, and actually not needed at all. For the overhead position I took the Rich Froning approach, meaning I locked it overhead, and got in to a good rhythm of inhaling at the top and exhaling in the bottom position. This rhythm was maybe little too much for this weight, I should have just pushed it through and paced up at this point. Took 35 reps at first attempt, laid the bar down and picked it up for the remaining 15 reps. After thrusters it was about 6 minutes in to the workout.


In the pull-ups I also gave a little slack. It didn't feel like that during the workout but I realized it after the wod that I could have done faster. Took the pull-ups in 10-8-7-5. I got these sets done without huge efforts. My fear was that I would hit a wall had I gone too fast at any given moment. This was valuable info for upcoming Jackies =) The workout itself was funk and somehow the nature was a lot different than for example Fran and Grace which I consider the most classic stuff.

Metcon. Time 7.07
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 10 handstand push-ups
  • 20 toes-to-bar
  • 30 air squats
Jackie took my breath away for a while but the recovery was fast after this one. I wasn't all done so I needed some more work to be done. It turned out to hspu's, t2b's and squats. Got the hspu's done unbroken for the first 2 rounds and fell off the wall on the third one. That was practically ub as well. T2b's were unbroken for the first round and actually felt light. There was room for more reps still.

Second round was tougher, and I got them done 12-8. Third one was done in 3 sets, 10-5-5. Air squats weren't that bad. Or actually they were a bit nasty, especially after toes-to-bar's as my hip flexors were tense in both movements. But I mean I got them done unbroken without any issues, it just got to me flexors more than I had thought.

Post workout meal. Salmon, lots of salad, avocado, and veggies 

Tabata. Distance 944m
  • 8 rounds of: 20 sec work, 10 sec rest of:
  • Rowing
This was the Grande Finale of the training session. Just sat on the rower and started pulling the strokes for these 20 second intervals. Tabata is a great training method for pretty much any movement. I've done it usually on bodyweight stuff with the exception of 120kg deadlift. Works perfectly for air squats, push-ups and sit-ups, why wouldn't it suit for kettlebells, double unders and actually everything!

This was a lot more painful than I thought of. Couple of sets went by nicely but in the middle I was in a lot of muscular pain, and towards the end it was pure misery. Good classic short workout! This day in general was purely focusing on metabolic condition and I liked it a lot. Jackie was a fresh one and I've got to hit it some other day too.

This was nasty!




No comments:

Post a Comment