Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday 15.9: Clean and jerk, Light Grace, 5-rounder

Monday. Barbell, light clean & jerk work 5-5-5-5 (max 70kg). Metcon, "Light Grace", 30 clean and jerk (50kg). Time 1.54. Metcon, 5rds of: 5 hspu, 30 du, 200m run. Time 8.54.

Sunday's workout session was deep but it felt no influence on this training day. I felt good opening the gym door. Decided to hit an awkward workout - benchmark workout Grace - but with light weight. That was actually a genius workout. After getting a grip of life again I did another quite short workout of bodyweight movements. Pauliina also did 2 circuit style workouts. She's rocking it!




Barbell.
  • Clean and jerk, touch'n'go
  • 5-5-5-5 (40, 50, 60, 70kg)
The purpose of this was only to get myself prepared for Grace. I was thinking about doing heavy Grace originally with 70kg. Then again, two points. Firstly, I'm doing these Smolov squats and I don't wanna do too heavy workouts that would burn my legs totally. Secondly, Pauliina gave a good tip yesterday as she said I haven't done too many short and intense workouts. That means workouts that last less than 5min. Something like Fran. There's a seed of truth to that statement. Don't know the reason.

So I took couple of sets clean and jerk with light weight. Did all sets t'n'g style, meaning I didn't stop at any point of the movement, not on the floor, not on the front rack position. Just kept the barbell moving all the time. Felt good on these clean and jerks.


Another one was played last night, NY @ DC


Light Grace. Time 1.54
  • 30 clean & jerk, 50kg
Anyway, it seemed like a perfect day to go for Grace with a lighter version. All out from the very beginning. Just go. I took 15 reps at first attempt, then lowered the bar, took a breath and finished it off with 3 sets of 5 reps. Couldn't drop the barbell this time, there were a lot of people at the gym.

It was great to do this benchmark workout with this weight because I was able to have the barbell moving almost all the time. At least this was fast and intense. And even though the load was lighter than rx'd version it started to burn me from everywhere. That's because there weren't much rest included. My forearms and upper body in general was done after the workout. It also had its effect on my legs too.




Metcon. Time 8.54
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 30 double unders
  • 200m run (on a treadmill)
For some reason I liked the idea of running (even on a treadmill) last weekend. Took another shot at it today. I'd like to combine running any day on a metcon but treadmill has been out of context. Haven't considered a good piece of a workout. But now as I've done it, I don't see any good reason why not have it in the future too. This workout was supposed to be intense too.

Hspu's were easy, and unbroken. Double unders were great for 4 rounds. I tried to keep the transition much shorter than normally. Right after finishing the double unders, I clicked the treadmill on before even getting on it. My round times were within seconds on rounds 2-4 (1:45 - 1:47). First round is always quicker because of transitions. On the last round I messed around with the jump rope that lost me some time.

These two workouts were great. Awesome reminders to keep short metcons in the stock too. Long, and short, heavy and light, all kinds of workouts.





No comments:

Post a Comment